Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
doasc  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:16:01 AM(UTC)
doasc

Groups: Registered

The problem started as no ice from the icemaker. After some investigation, it was evident that the top of this side-by-side Bosch was too warm to freeze ice and the bottom was maintaining sub zero temperatures. The Bosch uses sensors and a control board instead of defrost timers and thermoswitches. The sensors and defrost heater checked out. However the fan in the freezer seems to work some of the time. The service manual (act. Daewoo) shows that the fan doesn't run when defrosting or when the door is open. But doesn't specifically say if it should run otherwise. Took the 13V DC motor out and it "seemed" to run intermitantly with 12V power. Reinstalled and things seemed good for a few hours. However, the next morning the temperature issue was back.

Typically when the compressor is running the evaporator/freezer fan should running. But the fridge fan seems to always run, except when the door is open. When should both the freezer and fridge fan run?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

doasc  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2009 6:24:07 AM(UTC)
doasc

With a voltmeter attached to the freezer/evaporator fan connection on the control board and with the door open switch taped down, I was able to catch the fan not spinning while 13V was being supplied. At this point, I could spin the fan and occasionally get it spinning again.

I wasn't able to find a manual on the Bosch, but there is a Daewoo model that is pretty close. The diags and cycles seem to be the same http://www.daewoo.cl/sta-info/manuals/refrig/FRS-U20BCI_U21GAI.pdf
woodchuckie  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2009 11:35:04 AM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

I would replace the fan if I had to spin it to get it started. The condenser fan underneath and the evaporator fan runs when the compressor runs.
doasc  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:15:23 AM(UTC)
doasc

Ordered the fan motor through Bosch (cheapest), Unfortunately, AppliancePartsPros.com doesn't stock the Bosch Fridge parts yet. And replacing the motor resolved all the issues.

The Bosch ice maker is unique from traditional American ice makers. It uses a sensor in the back of the ice tray to detect when it's frozen and then cycles the ice by fliping and flexing the tray. No motorized timer, no heating element to free ice from tray or fingers to displace the ice. This icemaker will produce ice as fast as it is freezes.

I beleive my fan motor had been failing for some time. Over time the frequence that the motor wouldn't start increased and ice production eventually stopped. In addition, I noticed ice cubes clumped and frozen together. I didn't realize it at the time, but this foreshdowed that the freezer was periodicaly warming and as the motor would work the ice would refreeze. During all this time the lower portion of the freezer was at 0F and the Refrigerator maintaned 32F.

Thanks to woodchuckie and other experts for the help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply