Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
edfromcharleston  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 8:07:23 AM(UTC)
edfromcharleston

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore S/S freezer/Frig. The freezer does not freeze but the frig seems to be cooling ok. About a week ago the icemaker slowed down production of ice to a crawl. I adjusted the temp, no luck, took off the inside panel and saw that the 1/3 of the top of the coils is covered with frost. The bottom 2/3 is not. Is this the problem? If so is there a way to defrost without having to defrost the refrig as well?? Any other suggestions, fan seems to be working I can hear something working that sounds like a compressor or fan and I have no other ideas aside from calling a repair person which always ends up very expensive.

Thanks
Ed
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 8:28:25 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Unfortunately, you have refrigeration problems, the compressor/and, or the system has developed a refrigerant leak, usually an evaporator or tubing leak, or internal compressor leak, not cheap to fix and for a Frigidaire unit, certainly not worth the effort. If an R12 system,different story, and depending on electric rates, this will waste about $100 per month.
If you can find evidence of compressor oil on any tubing, and you get it fixed before it all leaks out, repair would be easy,but this is rather rare, usually not visible.
edfromcharleston  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 8:38:25 AM(UTC)
edfromcharleston

Ric, thanks for the good news.....kidding. If there is a refrigerant leak, wouldnt it effect the refrigerator as well? Is there any way to confirm this or rule it out?

Thanks again
Ed
richappy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 10:16:24 AM(UTC)
richappy

Best way to confirm is a gauge on the compressor and amp draw.
You can do a few things. Verify the condenser fan is running and the condenser coils free of lint. If the condenser coils are only warm, this would confirm a refrigeration problem.
Measure the stabilized freezer temperature, if above 15 degrees, it would also confirm problem.
If the compressor is very hot and the condenser cool, it's possible the cap tube is partially clogged, but rather rare.
edfromcharleston  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 11:37:38 AM(UTC)
edfromcharleston

I will check those. I removed the inside panel and saw that the heating coil came on to defrost the coils. After it defrosted the temp dropped but now 100% of the coils are covered with frost wih it being thicker on the top portion. Is it normal for the coils to have fros on them?

Thanks
Ed
richappy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 3:25:00 PM(UTC)
richappy

I am responding to transitory info from you, that's why I always ask for the stabilized freezer temperature, seems like yours may be normal, like 10 degrees or lower.
Yes, the evaporator coils must be 100% covered with frost, but the best test is stabilized freezer temp.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply