Appliance Repair Forum

Appliance Repair Forum (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/)
-   Refrigerator & Freezer Repair (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/refrigerator-freezer-repair/)
-   -   Maytag "Plus" refrigerator not cooling. (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/refrigerator-freezer-repair/276207-maytag-plus-refrigerator-not-cooling.html)

orionengnr 08-02-2011 11:25 AM

Maytag "Plus" refrigerator not cooling.

About a year ago it quit and we had a tech come out and replace the original start relay with the large cylindrical shaped "3 in 1" start relay.

As of today, the compressor is not running. The lights inside light up, and the fan is running.

Update--There is 120vac at the blue wire.
There appears to be 120vac at the compressor (measured between the red and the white wires). Compressor is hot.

I unplugged the fridge, and using the multimeter, checked for continuity between each of the three (red, black, white) wires. Each checks good.

I then checked each terminal to ground, and each reads open. (I got this test in the "how to test the compressor" post.)

So the compressor appears okay.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank you in advance.

Gene 08-04-2011 04:49 PM

If the compressor is hot but not running and is silent, then most likely the compressor is bad. Besides the motor it also has the pump inside and the problem can be there.

The model number you posted does not come up.

Gene.

pajero378 08-04-2011 05:22 PM

Maytag Plus MSD2756GE

I have the same problem. compressor is running but freezer is frosted and no cold air is coming. freezer and refside not cooling.. any help would be appreciated

orionengnr 08-04-2011 06:02 PM

I had a tech come out yesterday and he said that the compressor is actually running but there is insufficient freon. He say that recharging it is possible, but would cost $190 and since there is apparently a leak, he says that it is probably a waste of money.

I just went to Sears and bought a new one. :(

pajero378 08-04-2011 06:37 PM

cooling coil was completly frozen, i removed the panel inside the freezer. used a hair dryer to defrost the coils. poured some hot water in drain to clear clog.restarted it just now.

compressror is working, fan is working. sometimes it may not be freon only cud be thermosat malfunction.

I will know tommrrow morning

Gene 08-05-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pajero378 (Post 501139)
I have the same problem. compressor is running but freezer is frosted and no cold air is coming. freezer and refside not cooling.. any help would be appreciated

Actually the problem with your refrigerator is very different. It's not defrosting properly.

You have to check the defrost thermostat and the defrost heater for continuity. If there is nothing wrong, replace the adaptive defrost control board (#13 on the diagram).

- The defrost heater assembly (thermostat included) Part number: AP4069923

Part number: AP4069923

- The ADC board Part number: AP4070403

Part number: AP4070403

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for MAYTAG MSD2756GES REF - SXS/I&W | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.