Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ramblinche81  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 11:14:03 AM(UTC)
ramblinche81

Groups: Registered

Maytag side by side, with modular crescent ice system, this link really good info.

http://www.the-appliance-************.com/modcres.html

Any insight on below would be appreciated for my intermittent, non repeating overflow of water to ice freezing tray.

About a month ago, water overflowed through the ice making tray. At that time, it appeared the ice tray was full, and the water cycle had activated even though ice was not ejected. Happened once, and did not repeat at that time. Water flow shut itself off. I left water turned on to unit with no further problems. (I did warn my wife and kids about what happened and how to turn off the water supply behind the unit.)

About a week ago, water overflowed again. Wife tells me ice was again in the freezing tray, again giving the appearance ice was not ejected and water flow turned on. Water supply turned off, and unit inoperative.

Today's troubleshooting -
Jumper for T/H test points cycles unit with no issues in both dry and wet modes. Unit now makes ice with no abnormal behavior.

Heater shows 75ohms, matches requirements
Valve Solenoid Coil shows only 175, not 300ohms ??? Weak coil, or new model ?
Motor shows 250ohms, not 4400 per web reference guide link above .

=============================================================================
My first thought was ice release heater block failed, but I don't see how system cycles with ice blocking tray. Paddle wheels cannot advance and system will not reach refill point ??? In past, when ice was stuck, system would hum while hung up, and would not advance to refill point....unless it skipped a few gears and made it to the refill point by jumping teeth on the gears, but again, no clear evidence.

Second thought was trash/grit in water valve blocked valve from sealing. Washed itself out somehow. The fact it happened, stopped itself, worked for several weeks, happened again, and is now back to normal makes me think it wasn't trash in the valve, but something else.

I hate to just start swapping parts without having a strong belief it is the most likely cause. Low ohms on watervalve solenoid coil makes me think it has partially failed and might not have enough power to actuate valve stem. I also would have expected system to be normally closed, and if the part fails, it fails shut, but that is just me.

Any and all help very much appreciated. Forums are a great way to share knowledge and experiences for those willing to help others and those willing (Or forced by finances) to help themselves.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.