Discuss

GE Freezer won't make ice

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

Hello, My GE ESS22XGMD freezer isn't making ice. I took it apart and found that the tube that comes through

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » GE Freezer won't make ice

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 12:01 PM

rosejoee is on a distinguished road
Default GE Freezer won't make ice
Brand: GE   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Hello,

My GE ESS22XGMD freezer isn't making ice. I took it apart and found that the tube that comes through the back of the freezer wall was frozen solid. No water could get in like that so it wasn't making any ice. That seemed to make sense so I thawed the tube and put it back together. Let the frezer cool and then turned the ice maker back on. I may have got a cube or two but no major ice. I checked it again and the tube is frozen again. What is causing this?

Thanks

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 03-23-2009, 01:00 PM

Default More info

I get drinking water to the door w/o a problem and I checked the water line that goes to the freezer/refrigerator and it is fine. I'm not sure what it is called but the tube that goes through the rear freezer wall that empties water directly into the ice tray is totally frozen. I thawed and it and reinstalled it and it froze up again.

I hope that makes sense
Old 03-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Hardcore DIY'er
APP Volunteer

woodchuckie is on a distinguished road

The water inlet valve on the back of the unit where the water supply comes in can have a slow leak and will cause ice to buildup and block the fill tube. Disconnect the ice maker line from the valve and watch to see if it has a slow drip. It doesn’t take much to eventually block the fill tube.
The valve can leak because of sediment in the water preventing it from closing or low water pressure.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 AM

No leak as far as I can tell, but the entire tube that water drains from into the trays all the way through the rear wall that water comes in through is frozen solid. I'm not sure what usually keeps that from freezing. I guess that would be my issue.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 09:56 AM
Hardcore DIY'er
APP Volunteer

woodchuckie is on a distinguished road

Did you disconnect the line at the water inlet valve to see if it leaks.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:37 AM

I didn't take off the hose, but we will try it today. This makes sense though b/c awhile back our neighbor had a new well installed and we had so much sediment in our water for a while it wasn't funny.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 AM

Is there anyway to test the inlet valve? We took it off and a new one is 50$, so I want to make sure that is the issue before I buy one.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2014, 07:19 PM

tonyanderson is on a distinguished road
Default Ge freezers won't make ice

Hello,

My GE freezer isn't making ice. I took it apart and found that the tube that comes through the back of the freezer wall was frozen solid. No water could get in like that so it wasn't making any ice. That seemed to make sense so I thawed the tube and put it back together. Let the frezer cool and then turned the ice maker back on. I may have got a cube or two but no major ice. I checked it again and the tube is frozen again. What is causing this?

Thanks[/quote]
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.