Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lcollinward  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 12:49:53 PM(UTC)
lcollinward

Groups: Registered

I am having the standard defrost control issue where the coils are freezing because the defrost system is not working correctly. I am relatively certain that the problem lies with the adaptive defrost control board, and I am planning on replacing it. The part is on order now.

The interesting part is that, when I was ohm-ing out the heater and defrost thermostat, I noticed that the wiring appeared to be slightly different than shown on the wiring diagram. The blue wire coming from the temp control was connected directly to the heater element and the Yellow wire from the adaptive control board was wired to the thermostat. Essentially, it looks like the heater/thermostat is wired backwards (relative to the schematic). The plug can only go in 1 way, so this would have to have come from the factory this way.

My question is... Is this a problem? Or since power can't flow unless the thermosat "closes" and completes the circuit, it doesn't matter f the element comes before the thermostat in series?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:21:42 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I think the big question would be "did the unit used to work OK with this wiring"?

I am assuming that the WH/BK wire is connected between the defrost thermostat and the defrost heater, this is a sensing line for the defrost board.
So here is a possible problem.
You will notice that the Defrost thermostat is 240,000 ohms when open.
This reduces the current going to the adaptive defrost board through the WH/BK wire when the heater is off. This signal is used in the adaptive defrost board to calculate how often to run a defrost .
The way it is now wired the current is running through the heater which is only around 20 ohms so this could cause problems for the adaptive defrost board.
Also when the heater is on you will get 0 volts on the WH/BK wire when what should be there is 120 volts as the defrost thermostat when closed in 0 ohms and it is connected to the hot side of the line.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
lcollinward  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:01:24 PM(UTC)
lcollinward

The fridge has had this problem basically since we got it used (very cheap) last summer. I do not know if the defrost system ever worked. It has not been a major problem for us as the coils don't seem to freeze up much during the winter.

Based on the fact that the defrost board uses the wh/bk wire to sense when the heater needs to turn on, sounds like I need to switch the wiring to match the schematic. Would that be your suggestion?
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:15:05 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I would wire it the way the wiring diagram shows it.

The only proviso would be if the wires plugs and receptacles do not match up.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
lcollinward  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:27:08 PM(UTC)
lcollinward

So the wiring is definitely backwards... I got a new heating element today and installed it. The plug is wired opposite from the old one. The current installation now matches the schematic. I will keep you posted on if this fixes all my woes (at least my refrigerator woes).

Thanks for all your help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply