Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
waltgphd  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:30:16 AM(UTC)
waltgphd

Groups: Registered

Hi people,

I am a newbie here. I have a Sub Zero 501R fridge. It has worked fine for several years. Recently it shut down. No power, no cooling no lights. The next day it started up and seems fine. This has happened a few times recently. The breakers are not tripped, I try unplugging and re plugging and sometimes that seems to have worked. I am confused and frustrated. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fixtec90  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:19:11 AM(UTC)
fixtec90

Groups: Senior Expert

The power cord goes into the compressor compartment check that connection. If that is ok the thermostat part #4201260 is likely the problem. the thermostat is on the back wall of the fresh food compartment (it is what the dial to adjust cold levels attaches to).
fixtec90  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:41:28 AM(UTC)
fixtec90

I just spoke with someone who has more Sub Zero experience than myself, and he doesn't agree that the thermostat could be the problem. He tells me that the power connections in the compressor compartment are far more likely to be the problem.
waltgphd  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:46:22 PM(UTC)
waltgphd

Groups: Registered

Thanks, one other question. How do I access the compressor compartment? Once there I'm sure I can check the connection and make any necesary repairs.
fixtec90  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:51:52 AM(UTC)
fixtec90

It's a little hard for me to tell as I am looking at an exploded parts diagram. However, it looks like your compressor compartment is on the bottom of the unit. Is there a levered screen at the bottom above the kick plate? If so there should be 2 screws and possibly 2 springs that hold it in place. I haven't worked on a 501r in over 2yrs. I'm just going from (my poor) memory. I do know that on a Sub Zero you should be able to access the compressor compartment from the front. Sorry I don't think I can be much more helpful with something I repair so little.

Once you figure out how to get in there remember to work safely with electricity!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply