Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rjgtn1  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 2:34:07 PM(UTC)
rjgtn1

Groups: Registered

Whirlpool side by side fridge, model ED20DBEXW00, does not cool - either side. Condenser coils are clean, compressor fan runs like a top, compressor seems to be running but is hot to the touch. No air movement inside fridge at all, but I have not checked evaporator fan. Ideas? It's an older appliance, so I'm trying to determine if I'm throwing away $$ to have it diagnosed by a tech.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:56:59 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL ED20DBXEW00 SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Whirlpool side by side fridge, model ED20DBEXW00, does not cool - either side.[/COLOR]
If the freezer is not cooling then the fresh food will not cool as all cooling comes from the evaporator coils in the freezer.

It does sound like the compressor is running, also you should be able to feel it vibrating.

Check that the evaporator fan is running, it sounds like that may be your problem. If it does not run, air is not pulled through the evaporator coils so it does not cool properly and you get minimal cooling in the freezer.

If it is running remove the cover inside the freezer so that you can inspect the evaporator coils.

If they are frosted heavily frosted over you have a defrost problem.

If there is no frost or just frost in one area you have a sealed system problem. In this case it is probably not worth fixing as you need a pro and it will be expensive.
It is important to do this after the unit has run for a couple hours because if you do it just after a defrost cycle there also will be no frost.

If they still made fridges like they used to 20 years ago that is what I would buy. The old ones are much better than the new units. So save it if you can.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
rjgtn1  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:18:31 AM(UTC)
rjgtn1

Many thanks, denman! I think you may be right about the evaporator fan, so I'll test it today. On this model, is it located in the upper part of the freezer behind the icemake, by any chance, or should I pull all back panels off?, since there is no air movement into the freezer. I'll start it back up and check for frost after a few hours, keeping my fingers crossed that it will be nice and cold.

Thanks again for the tips.
rjgtn1  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:28:58 PM(UTC)
rjgtn1

An update. Although the GE evaporator fan connects to a PCBA which shows no signs of damage and which sits in a protective plastic box, the assembly fails a continuity test. Further, there is no sign of frost or a cool feel to the evaporator coils after running for an hour. So before I wheel this to the curb for the trash service, would a failed evap fan cause a shut-down of the cooling cycle? Could the fridge be stuck in defrost cycle, perhaps? It's not looking good at this point, but I'd appreciate a confirmation before I offer last rites.
denman  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:53:28 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Further, there is no sign of frost or a cool feel to the evaporator coils after running for an hour. So before I wheel this to the curb for the trash service, would a failed evap fan cause a shut-down of the cooling cycle?[/COLOR]
No a bad evap fan will cause the unit to run continuously as air is not pulled through the evap coils so it does not cool properly and the unit cannot reach set point.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
Could the fridge be stuck in defrost cycle, perhaps?[/COLOR]
No as the compressor and the condenser/compressor fan are shut off during a defrost cycle.

Since the compressor is running the problem is in the sealed system.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
rjgtn1  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:35:32 AM(UTC)
rjgtn1

Thanks again! Last rites have been said. Off to the appliance store...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply