Appliance Repair Forum

Appliance Repair Forum (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/)
-   Refrigerator & Freezer Repair (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/refrigerator-freezer-repair/)
-   -   Fridge/Freezer Works for a month, takes 2 days off, works for another month... (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/refrigerator-freezer-repair/264546-fridge-freezer-works-month-takes-2-days-off-works-another-month.html)

Tiswos 07-12-2011 01:52 PM

Fridge/Freezer Works for a month, takes 2 days off, works for another month...

About 6 months ago, my 2 year old (at the time) Kenmore Freezer over Fridge unit stopped working. Everything in the freezer defrosted, the fridge stopped keeping things cool etc.
The lights inside the unit still worked, but there was no compressor or fan noise. I cleaned and vacuumed the compressor (and heat exchanger next to it) nothing changed. Then after approx. 48 hours, the thing spontaneously started up again and worked as if there had never been a problem.
About 5 or 6 weeks later it stopped again and went through almost the exact same cycle I talked about above... Yes - 48 hours later (after it was almost completely defrosted) it happily started working again Then another 4 or 5 weeks after the second stoppage it did it again, and again 48 hours later it started up as if there was nothing wrong. The one repair service I called said it would be very difficult to diagnose while the fridge is actually working and offered no more information than that.
Does anybody have any ideas or insight or can direct me to another thread?
Thanks in advance!

denman 07-13-2011 04:31 AM

You did not give a model number so I cannot be sure about any of the below.

Sounds like you have either a main thermostat (sticking open) or a defrost timer (sticking in defrost mode, both fans and the compressor will be off) problem.

When it happens again turn the temperature control knob back and forth (not off), if it fires up then I would say it is the main thermostat.

If the above does nothing locate the defrost timer and turn the cam.
If it fires up then replace the defrost timer.

Tiswos 07-13-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denman (Post 485015)
You did not give a model number so I cannot be sure about any of the below.

Sounds like you have either a main thermostat (sticking open) or a defrost timer (sticking in defrost mode, both fans and the compressor will be off) problem.

When it happens again turn the temperature control knob back and forth (not off), if it fires up then I would say it is the main thermostat.

If the above does nothing locate the defrost timer and turn the cam.
If it fires up then replace the defrost timer.

Thanks Denman,
I assume you are talking about the temperature control knob inside the fridge (as opposed to the freezer)!?
Also where would I start to look for ther defrost timer?
Thanks again for some sound advice!

denman 07-13-2011 12:17 PM

I assume you are talking about the temperature control knob inside the fridge (as opposed to the freezer)!?
Yes the one in the fresh food section.

If the unit uses a timer they are usually under the unit at the front or the back.
Sometimes you cannot see them as they are mounted on the back side of a mounting bracket though usually there is a hole in the bracket so you can adjust the cam.
Also a favorite spot is in the control console in the fresh food section, again there is usually ahole.

Tiswos 07-13-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denman (Post 485194)
Yes the one in the fresh food section.

If the unit uses a timer they are usually under the unit at the front or the back.
Sometimes you cannot see them as they are mounted on the back side of a mounting bracket though usually there is a hole in the bracket so you can adjust the cam.
Also a favorite spot is in the control console in the fresh food section, again there is usually ahole.

Thanks.
Now I shall patiently wait until the darned machine does it again. I will be sure to let you know what happens.