Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rambler65  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 6:50:45 PM(UTC)
rambler65

Groups: Registered

OK, been lurking on here, and following some suggestions on the posts, and still no luck,,, fridge stopped cooling well, and checked out the freezer coils,, the top part was frozen, thowed it out, and replaced the defrost adaptor control as noted in some posts...

Did not help, now fridge is even warmer,,, both fans work,, and when plugged in you can hear compressor running, it does get warm. I pulled the capacitor and checked the omhs on it, it did not show anything, I pulled the starter control and it did NOT rattle, but got a "generic" one from a repair center, and hooked it up... it still starts up, but does not cool, both inside fan in freezer and fan below are running, no frost showing on any coils...

The compressor seems to run, I ran the ohms check for continuity on the compressor and it showed it was OK according to some threads.

I can change the temp control and it will shut off the compressor, but netiher side gets cool and blows warm air now..

what are the other options, I am tired of throwing parts on this, but need it to run..

another thing to note, my dishwasher (also maytag) quit working just a week before, could this have been a power surge from storms?

any other ideas?

thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 10:43:28 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="DarkRed"]checked out the freezer coils,, the top part was frozen[/COLOR]
The above may be the biggest clue as to what is going on and unfortunately it is bad news.

It sounds like the compressor is running but due to low freon you do not get proper cooling. Low freon will result in frost on only part of the evaporator coils usually where the freon enters the coils.
Here is a link. Check out the three example pictures part way down the page.
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html

This will be an expensive repair as you need a pro and there is no guarantee of a long term fix. Often it makes more sense to put those dollars towards a new unit.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
rambler65  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:19:58 PM(UTC)
rambler65

Thanks for the reply, I took a couple of pics ( bad cell phone camera) to show whats up..

the top part of the coils were frozen, but now are only warm ( not cold at all with compressor running) the other picture is the capacitor I replaced. which when I removed it and put it back in, it did make a high pitch noise, but again the freezer failed to cool...

I also replaced the defrost control, but that picture did not come out...

since it is not cooling at all now, would it sill be low on freon? since it does not currently match the picture links you showed me?

or is there another control device I am not seeing?

thanks again for your help,, this unit was a replacement for another side by side, that did exactly as you described,, coils let freon out and was suggested buy a new one, which we did,, this unit is not more than 3 years old!
rambler65 attached the following image(s):
freezer.jpg
freeze 2.jpg
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:38:43 AM(UTC)
denman

If you can hear the compressor running and feel it vibrating and it should be warm then it is running and the evaporator coils should be cooling.
If not then you have a sealed system problem for sure.

What may have happened is that you had a freon leak and when you first checked it you were just low on freon but now you are out of freon.

I did look up the warranty for this unit and it is just one year for the complete unit.
I would check the documentation that came with the unit just to be sure that the sealed system does not have a longer warranty.

Even if it is only one year I would contact Maytag and let them know how dissatisfied you are.
Who knows they may want to keep a customer and offer you a deal!!
rambler65  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2011 8:35:00 AM(UTC)
rambler65

Had a local HVAC guy come by, he once did appliance repairs as well. He checked it out, and did not like the generic capacitor I had, but also said that the compressor has failed,, it had a lot of oil? around the lines and said the unit got hot and failed. Needs new compressor, not sure if it is worth fixing, but I paid $1500 for this unit.

I called maytag and talked to "customer care" and they said the unti was made in 5 of 2007, only a one year warranty on EVERYTHING not anything on the sealed system, since I did not buy the "extended" expensive service plan, there is NOTHING then can or will do. I explained and then gave them the serial numbers of all my maytag units, ( all by one are now broken) and how dissatisfied I was with their stuff. I even asked for a supervisor, and they stated, they will do nothing. I can go to maytag.com and use the "contact us" section to log a complaint.

I have bought BRAND NEW and have replaced a Maytag neptune washer and dryer (Very expensive) my used GE washer/dryer I bought used for $150 for both have now outlasted how long those lasted ( thats after $100s of dollars in repairs ) also my Series 200 dishwasher also bought 3 years ago is down, it needs $200 in repairs...

my stove (maytag) also broke, but got lucky only cose $100 to fix.

I told them I will never by maytag, whirlpool or amana again, they did not even offer a coupon or discount since I now have to replace this unit.

I understand electronics can fail, but this is the 2nd maytag to have a internal failure.. (I replaced my first unit, with this one 3 years ago)

so is it worth it to buy the compressor kit and get it replaced? I really cannot afford another fridge... and my wife wants the side by side with water in door.

sorry for the vent, but spending a hour on the phone mostly on hold with maytag/whilpool has me frustrated... and I'm laid off, I really cannot afford a new unit..
denman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:30:00 AM(UTC)
denman

Here your parts
Replacement parts for MAYTAG MSD2641KEB REF - SXS/I&W | AppliancePartsPros.com

Take a look at Section 2.

Sorry for not responding sooner but I was a the cottage for a few days.

All I can advise is that you call around and get some quotes and references.

It will be expensive.

It sounds like you have had the appliance gremlins at your house.
I agree with you totally that a one year warranty on a sealed system is ridiculous but it looks like all manufacturers are trying to go that route.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply