Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mapleguy  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2011 4:02:22 PM(UTC)
Mapleguy

Groups: Registered

Can I use a GE WR07X10055 start relay to replace a more expensive Whirlpool AP3608944? I read a post by richappy reproduced below that seems to imply that he always uses the cheaper relay:

You can use the cheaper one (4387913) all use the same start device.
If you go to my article (replacing compressor start devices), (just put it in the search box) you will see I use a very similar start device. GE part WR07X10051 if current draw above 1.5 amp, or the WR07X10055 for below 1.5 amp. The price is around $13 retail. If your overload klixon is still good, (Sometimes you need to dig it out of the box), this is all you would need.

Read more: http://forum.appliancepartspros...iants.html#ixzz1RYrfnyyL
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 9, 2011 12:44:03 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have used these GE start devices for more than a year, with no callbacks. For your specific compressor, I would use the original klixon as it has been selected to provide optimum current overload/thermal overload protection.I usually use the WR07X10051 as most of the compressors I work on draw more than one amp. I have never seen one of these burn out.
It has been my experience that Whirlpool and Frigidaire start devices fail often.
Mapleguy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 9, 2011 7:49:20 AM(UTC)
Mapleguy

Thanks, richappy, I ordered the part today from AppliancePartsPros.com.
exactorman  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2011 10:47:23 AM(UTC)
exactorman

almost all posts i have read say that when you remove the start relay, it will be white and will rattle if broken. I have a whirlpool ED25TQXGW00. My start relay looks nothing like what i have read. it is small looks like a brown outlet plug sort of and does not rattle. There was also a small plug connected to the third prong. The 3 prongs are part of the compressor.

I apologize but I am stumped. Is the the start relay? I believe it is. Could this be causing my fridge not to turn on? If you could guide me to a forum that deals with this model, or you could help me I would be most appreciative. My food is getting warm.

Thanks,

BW
Mapleguy  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2011 2:26:27 PM(UTC)
Mapleguy

I'm not an expert, but if you pulled it off the pins on the compressor, it sounds like a relay. Mine was not white, it was brown, much like what you describe, but it did rattle and the new one does not. A quick replacement fixed my problem. I suggest you go to the parts section of this web site, look up the relay for your refrigerator, and there will be a picture of it for comparison. Now, I assume you have done the testing to make sure that your thermostat and start capacitor are good. Good luck.

Originally Posted by: exactorman Go to Quoted Post
almost all posts i have read say that when you remove the start relay, it will be white and will rattle if broken. I have a whirlpool ED25TQXGW00. My start relay looks nothing like what i have read. it is small looks like a brown outlet plug sort of and does not rattle. There was also a small plug connected to the third prong. The 3 prongs are part of the compressor.

I apologize but I am stumped. Is the the start relay? I believe it is. Could this be causing my fridge not to turn on? If you could guide me to a forum that deals with this model, or you could help me I would be most appreciative. My food is getting warm.

Thanks,

BW
richappy  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2011 2:44:25 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Generally, if the compressor is warm, but not starting, the compressor is getting voltage, but the start device is bad. Just look it up on this site and order it. If compressor is cold, you have other problems.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply