Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
oldcomputerwiz  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2011 5:27:58 PM(UTC)
oldcomputerwiz

Groups: Registered

Like many others I have had a problem with my evap fan freezing up. Repair guy was out, said fan was froze, got it going and left. Quit 2 days later. Defrost cycle seems to be working correctly and there was a bunch of "gunk" in the defrost drain tube. Been working fine now except that I have to set the freezer to 9 to get it to zero to 10 degrees. I never checked temp previously so this may have always been the case.

Anyway, after opening up the coil section of the fridge I have a couple pieces of foam that I am not sure where they go. There are 2 of them, they are brown and cylindrical in shape. About the size of your pinky finger. I have looked at the cabinet breakout but still don't know where they go.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2011 1:48:00 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Did you replace the evaporator fan motor?
oldcomputerwiz  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2011 2:57:45 AM(UTC)
oldcomputerwiz

No I did not replace the motor. It is running. As much gunk as I got out of the drain tube I was thinking that it might have been plugged. The evap fan was not running when the repair guy came out and then 2 days later when it died again. 1 week ago tomorrow is when I had restarted the fridge after cleaning the drain and letting it set 24 hours unplugged and it has been running ever since.

I think that I found the problem with having to have the freezer temp at its coldest setting. I had placed the small pieces of foam that I referenced in my original question, that BTW are gray and about the size of my index finger (my memory is not what it used to be) not brown and the size of my pinky, in the rear vent holes of the pan holding the coils because that is where I found one after my original tear down. I pulled those out from the vent holes by grabbing them from inside the freezer last night after writing my message and the unit is at -5 F this morning and still running. I moved the dial to 7 because I know that is too cold.

I still don't know where these pieces of foam go. My intention is to open up the unit over the weekend and examine the coils and see if there is any indication of impending freeze up. My thought earlier in the week was a slow moving evap fan but I am back to thinking that it was a plugged drain but still would like to know where the small foam pieces go.

As a side not, the unit is mostly empty. I have the perishables in other fridges that we own until I am confident that this unit is not going to go south on me again and I have to toss more food.

Thanks for the reply RICHAPPY!

Steve
richappy  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2011 5:19:04 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The only pieces of foam I have seen in freezers is the ones that block airflow on the sides of the evaporator coils and route the air to the middle of the coils.
If your fridg is still not getting very cold, you could have a slow turning evaporator motor.
Rather than spending $70 for a new motor, I always use a AP4503254 motor, more reliable.Cost $20
oldcomputerwiz  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2011 12:03:04 PM(UTC)
oldcomputerwiz

It appears to be cooling correctly now since I removed the foam from the vents. I have the freezer at 5 and the fridge at 6 (5 is normal) and all is well. The fridge is about 34-35 as we like our beverages a bit cooler. The freezer at zero. Still not sure about the foam pieces. I have attached a picture of the foam next to a dollar bill for size reference. Do these look familiar from a GE fridge. There are 2 of these foam pieces. I am thinking of loading the fridge back up with groceries this weekend. The fan has not frozen up for a week now. Hopefully it was just a plugged drain tube. Thanks for the tip on the evap fan. For $20 I may just order one. Thats pretty cheap. Thanks again for your help. If you don't know what these foam things are I may just put them in a drawer and save them in case their purpose shows up later. Steve

UserPostedImage
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply