Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sds  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2011 6:26:03 PM(UTC)
sds

Groups: Registered

The ice door mechanism broke. I have replacement parts, but I cannot remove the dispenser door cover. The schematic suggests that there are two tabs at the bottom of the housing assembly that the cover attaches to. Other posts suggest pulling out on, alternatively, to top of the cover or the bottom of the cover. In my case, there is very little give in either instance with a cracking sound at the top (bad). Any suggestions.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:37:07 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sds Go to Quoted Post
The ice door mechanism broke. I have replacement parts, but I cannot remove the dispenser door cover. The schematic suggests that there are two tabs at the bottom of the housing assembly that the cover attaches to. Other posts suggest pulling out on, alternatively, to top of the cover or the bottom of the cover. In my case, there is very little give in either instance with a cracking sound at the top (bad). Any suggestions.

Sds,

Here are the instructions for dismantling the dispenser assembly.

We're sure you'll do fine, and have it all taken care of in a short time.
(this is a basic teardown procedure, your unit may or may not have all the mentioned components).

[FONT=Arial.Bold.Italic050]SERVICING THE ICE AND WATER DISPENSER[/FONT]
[FONT=Times.New.Roman050]The new ice and water dispenser is a simplified design, using half the number of parts as the previous design. Since the new dispenser is[/FONT]
[FONT=Times.New.Roman050]foamed-in. the freezer door, it cannot be removed as an assembly, however it can be easily serviced. Following are the steps for disassembly:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial045.813][FONT=Arial045.813]1. Unplug the refrigerator power cord.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813]2. Remove the overflow grille from the housing.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813]3. Unsnap front cover at the bottom of the housing. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813](using a flat blade screwdriver, and tape or pad, twist the screw driver, or pry out the bottom trim using the molded slots in the bottom of the trim panel).[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial045.813][FONT=Arial045.813]4. Disconnect the front cover switch harness connector and set the cover aside.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813][FONT=Arial045.813][FONT=Arial045.813][FONT=Arial045.813]5. Disconnect the power wire harness connector (BL/BK and W wires)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813]6. Disconnect the flapper door heater wire harness connector (if one is present).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813]7. Release the dispenser microswitch retainers and slide the switches off of their locator pins. Carefully handle the switches so they do not come apart.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813]8. Disconnect the wires from the terminals of the lamp holder.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813][FONT=Arial045.813][FONT=Arial045.813]9. Remove the two 1/4. hex head screws from the control bracket and remove the control bracket.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813]10. Remove the 1/4. hex head screw to remove the water fitting (fill spout) from the water dispenser lever.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813]11. Unsnap the ice guide and remove it from the ice dispenser lever.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813][FONT=Arial045.813][FONT=Arial045.813]12. Remove the air pot by sliding the rear of the air pot out of the slot molded to the dispenser housing and slip the linkage out of the flapper door mechanism assembly.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813]13. Unsnap the flapper door and remove it from the ice dispenser lever. While you remove the flapper door, carefully guide the flapper door heater wire and connector over the door mechanism assembly.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813]14. Remove the 1/4. hex head screw securing the dispenser levers pivot retainer to the dispenser housing and remove the retainer.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813]15. Remove the water dispenser lever.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813]16. Remove the ice dispenser lever by maneuvering it around the door mechanism assembly.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813]17. Pull the pin from the door mechanism assembly and remove the spring and mechanism assembly.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial045.813]18. Reassemble in reverse order.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial045.813]Good Luck,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial045.813]:) :) :) [/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
ncmudbug  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2011 5:44:41 PM(UTC)
ncmudbug

My Kitchenaid Superba refrigerator (KSRS25QDWH01) has a similar problem to the original poster. The ice flapper in the freezer is stuck open and no resistance is required to push the lever that normally opens the flapper to dispense ice.

I saw the instructions on this post but I had a problem when I tried to pry the plastic cover for the ice/water dispenser. One side had a slight crack and the other side had already been broken and repaired. Prying on it with the screwdriver exacerbated the situation. :eek:

Can somebody offer me some advice, please?
How exactly does it snap out? Where is it clipped to the door?
Given that the flapper stays open and the lever offers no resistance, what repair parts would I likely need? Since my cover is not as nice as it could be, are they cheap enough to consider getting a new one?

Thank you!
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:15:13 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: ncmudbug Go to Quoted Post
My Kitchenaid Superba refrigerator (KSRS25QDWH01) has a similar problem to the original poster. The ice flapper in the freezer is stuck open and no resistance is required to push the lever that normally opens the flapper to dispense ice.

I saw the instructions on this post but I had a problem when I tried to pry the plastic cover for the ice/water dispenser. One side had a slight crack and the other side had already been broken and repaired. Prying on it with the screwdriver exacerbated the situation. :eek:

Can somebody offer me some advice, please?
How exactly does it snap out? Where is it clipped to the door?
Given that the flapper stays open and the lever offers no resistance, what repair parts would I likely need? Since my cover is not as nice as it could be, are they cheap enough to consider getting a new one?

Thank you!

Your dispenser is a bit more involved than the previous information, but its still very similar. Try this:

Turn power off to the refrigerator. Remove the drip tray from the dispenser bottom. With a large blade screwdriver or putty knife Pull out at the bottom, lift up on the dispenser cover assembly, and remove the
assembly from the refrigerator door. Disconnect the dispenser cover wire
connector from the user interface board, and the ground wire connector from the ground wire harness. a) Remove the two screws from the ice
door assembly, and remove the assembly from its housing. b) Disconnect the motor wire connector. Push down on the quick disconnect locking ring, and pull the water tube from the fitting . d) Release the two clips, and pull the nozzle & ice guide out just far enough to remove the motor wires and connector, then remove the ice door assembly from the dispenser. Remove the two screws from the motor and remove the motor from the ice door

assembly housing.

There are several dispenser cosmetic components that are no longer available from the manufacturer, the dispenser facade and cover, being, no longer available.

Thanks,
:) :) :)

ncmudbug  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:24:47 PM(UTC)
ncmudbug

Thanks, Joe! I'll try it.
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:02:14 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: ncmudbug Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, Joe! I'll try it.

NC,

Ok, let us know how it goes.

Good Luck,

our12  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 18, 2018 3:54:11 PM(UTC)
our12

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Your dispenser is a bit more involved than the previous information, but its still very similar. Try this:

Turn power off to the refrigerator. Remove the drip tray from the dispenser bottom. With a large blade screwdriver or putty knife Pull out at the bottom, lift up on the dispenser cover assembly, and remove the
assembly from the refrigerator door. Disconnect the dispenser cover wire
connector from the user interface board, and the ground wire connector from the ground wire harness. a) Remove the two screws from the ice
door assembly, and remove the assembly from its housing. b) Disconnect the motor wire connector. Push down on the quick disconnect locking ring, and pull the water tube from the fitting . d) Release the two clips, and pull the nozzle & ice guide out just far enough to remove the motor wires and connector, then remove the ice door assembly from the dispenser. Remove the two screws from the motor and remove the motor from the ice door

assembly housing.

There are several dispenser cosmetic components that are no longer available from the manufacturer, the dispenser facade and cover, being, no longer available.

Thanks,

Hi Joe,
I have a similar problem removing my ice/water dispenser faceplate on my kitchenaid-ksrs27qfbl00. I have removed the stainless door and faceplate trim securing the black glass panels but I am unable to create any movement of the faceplate with a screwdriver and putty knife. It feels like there are fasteners from the inside of the door. Can you help?
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2018 2:53:54 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: our12 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Joe,
I have a similar problem removing my ice/water dispenser faceplate on my kitchenaid-ksrs27qfbl00. I have removed the stainless door and faceplate trim securing the black glass panels but I am unable to create any movement of the faceplate with a screwdriver and putty knife. It feels like there are fasteners from the inside of the door. Can you help?

Our12, We rechecked and verified the procedure. Once you remove the outer decorator panels, Look at the bottom edge of the facade/panel there should be two(2) slots molded into the facade, place a larger flat blade screwdriver tip into the slot and pull out on the bottom of the facade. It will sound nasty/bad, and you may need to pull out as much as a 1/2 inch. Then use a putty knife, or carefully work your way up the sides to the top. Once at the top push up carefully, to release the locking tabs and release the retainers across the top of the dispenser housing. Disconnect the wiring harness then remove the dispenser switch bracket and you'll have access to the chute door flapper, pivot arms and switches. Just make sure you remove power to the refrigerator first. It may take a little "persuasion".
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2018 2:54:16 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Hi Joe,

Our12, We rechecked and verified the procedure. Once you remove the outer decorator panels, Look at the bottom edge of the facade/panel there should be two(2) slots molded into the facade, place a larger flat blade screwdriver tip into the slot and pull out on the bottom of the facade. It will sound nasty/bad, and you may need to pull out as much as a 1/2 inch. Then use a putty knife, or carefully work your way up the sides to the top. Once at the top push up carefully, to release the locking tabs and release the retainers across the top of the dispenser housing. Disconnect the wiring harness then remove the dispenser switch bracket and you'll have access to the chute door flapper, pivot arms and switches. Just make sure you remove power to the refrigerator first. It may take a little "persuasion".
Joe / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2018 2:54:19 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Hi Joe,

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply