Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WHEELCHAIR1st  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:16:55 PM(UTC)
WHEELCHAIR1st

Groups: Registered

Serial #EL1945876
Greetings, Over the weekend the Freezer/Refrigerator stopped Freezing and Cooling. The fan in the freeze operates and the fan in the compressor continues to operate. I can hear a click for about 10 second and then another click (going off) The amperage draw/wattage draw when the demand happens is 8.7 amps/1050 watts for 10 seconds and then drops to .2 amps/25 watts. Within 2 minutes it cycles again.
Last time this happened it was the temperature control switch part 2204605 (FSP) and I replaced that. I tried to replace the switch this time with no improvement and the same symptoms. The compression is warm to touch but not hot. The grille and coils are all clear, clean and dust free?
Any suggestions as I've emptied and clean the Top Freezer and Bottom Cooler
Thanks in Advance
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:47:21 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would replace the compressor start device AP3961332 if the old device rattles when shaken or has no continuity between the run and start mating pins. Make sure you plug in the run capacitor.
You can save a lot of money if you use the ptcr device mentioned in my article "replacing compressor start devices", just put it in the search box. You will need to wire in the run capacitor between the run and start compressor pins.
WHEELCHAIR1st  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:37:38 AM(UTC)
WHEELCHAIR1st

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
I would replace the compressor start device AP3961332 if the old device rattles when shaken or has no continuity between the run and start mating pins. Make sure you plug in the run capacitor.
You can save a lot of money if you use the ptcr device mentioned in my article "replacing compressor start devices", just put it in the search box. You will need to wire in the run capacitor between the run and start compressor pins.

Thank You,
I removed the white module with 3 wires Red/Blue/ and double White. As I shook the module, it rattled and black pepper came out. Very interesting. You have increased my knowledge and I hope that replacement with the OEM part will resolve the issues. (what is the black pepper particles)
Best Wishes
richappy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:08:24 PM(UTC)
richappy

You have an exploded ptcr device caused by power surge. If you use the replacement device, I would put a 1000 joule surge protector on the fridg outlet. Make sure it is designed for appliances, available at Wall Mart.
The ptcr I suggested is much more reliable, but requires more wiring.
WHEELCHAIR1st  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:28:52 PM(UTC)
WHEELCHAIR1st

You have an exploded ptcr device caused by power surge. If you use the replacement device, I would put a 1000 joule surge protector on the fridg outlet. Make sure it is designed for appliances, available at Wall Mart.
The ptcr I suggested is much more reliable, but requires more wiring.

Thank You for your quick advice. I am most fortunate to have a Sear's Parts Store, within a mile of our house and a regional parts center about 8 miles away. Sears parts was out of stock, but the regional part store had the part in stock. I drove out and pick up the box, half way home as I was waiting for the stoplight I opened the box expecting to see a module/device and was I surprised to see a box of pieces. I turned around and took it back. I was expecting a replace part/component to match exactly what I removed. A two-piece device that looke like a module 3 blades for the white, red and blue connectors, plus one green ground wire. Inside the box were tiny pieces of parts I have to assemble, along with a black plastic box, and 3 pages of instructions. This looks like I'll have to retro-fit pieces to form a device. Is it any wonder that I'm surprised?
More to follow, but thanks again for the advice and suggestion.
Best Wishes
richappy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:02:54 AM(UTC)
richappy

Look at the device AP3961332. If identical, order it here, the Sears part will require a meter and wiring to hook up.
WHEELCHAIR1st  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:20:09 AM(UTC)
WHEELCHAIR1st

Look at the device AP3961332. If identical, order it here, the Sears part will require a meter and wiring to hook up.

1st, I want to thank RicHappy for his advice and suggestion. This morning the freezer was 70 degrees. An hour later, its about 32.4 and dropping. This proves that I can read, and follow detail instructions (smiling). There were a total of 12 instructions, beginning with #1 Pull the refrig from the wall. #2 Unplug the power cord. #3 Remove the screws from the compartment cover... and so on. #12 Check compressor run and return refrig to its original position.
The part I removed was 4SP1099. The kit I received was for Embraco EGY60, EGY70 and EMU60 Compressors. It included:
2154760- Overload
2214067- Overload
Black -PTC Relay
1- White jumper wire
I ended up using the 2214067 Overload, the Black PTC Relay and the White Jumper Wire and placing them where the device was formerly. A new black plastic cover was provided, which snapped in place. I plugged in the unit and turn on the temp control. I am cool to go, thanks to all.
Best Wishes
WHEELCHAIR1st  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:20:11 AM(UTC)
WHEELCHAIR1st

1st, I want to thank RicHappy for his advice and suggestion. This morning the freezer was 70 degrees. An hour later, its about 32.4 and dropping. This proves that I can read, and follow detail instructions (smiling). There were a total of 12 instructions, beginning with #1 Pull the refrig from the wall. #2 Unplug the power cord. #3 Remove the screws from the compartment cover... and so on. #12 Check compressor run and return refrig to its original position.
The part I removed was 4SP1099. The kit I received was for Embraco EGY60, EGY70 and EMU60 Compressors. It included:
2154760- Overload
2214067- Overload
Black -PTC Relay
1- White jumper wire
I ended up using the 2214067 Overload, the Black PTC Relay and the White Jumper Wire and placing them where the device was formerly. A new black plastic cover was provided, which snapped in place. I plugged in the unit and turn on the temp control. I am cool to go, thanks to all.
Best Wishes
Kinda_Handy  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:29:58 AM(UTC)
Kinda_Handy

Hmm, that looks exactly like my original part I mention in my thread (Help did I order the right part). But zooming in on the picture the part number seems different than mine (2212193). My original one sounds exactly like what is described in this thread double white wire, blue wire, red wire, and green to ground.

I also ordered the new part which is a bunch of seperate pieces hoping to install it myself but I have no meter or know how to do extra wiring.

Will the part you linked (AP3961332) work for my side by side? It seems to say its for top mount fridges.

Thx
WHEELCHAIR1st  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:42:14 AM(UTC)
WHEELCHAIR1st

Kinda_Handy, I can only reply to what I did. I did not have to use a multi-meter as suggested. I did not have to use one of the "overload" in the packaged pieces (2154750) as that was for a different model of compressor. For me its an extra part, not needed or required. The kit was provided by Whirlpool, for a number of compressors.

I would only said that you must know your compressor model number to determine if you use the overload 2154760 or 2214067 overload, as I did.
The PTC Relay was common piece used on all models and the white jumperwire attaches to the end of your double white wires female recept and then connected to the Relay, blade.

Best Wishes
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply