Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tclabare  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:26:46 AM(UTC)
tclabare

Groups: Registered

I have a GE that freezes up on the bottom coils. I have checked both defrost elements, the defrost bi-metal, and the defrost timer, and they tested good. When I turn the defrost timer to make it defrost (it clicks), the defrost heaters do not come on. The temp never gets cold enough, and freezes up soon after defrosting. How cold does it have to be to make the defoster work. Any help out there?
Barry
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:15:22 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tclabare Go to Quoted Post
I have a GE that freezes up on the bottom coils. I have checked both defrost elements, the defrost bi-metal, and the defrost timer, and they tested good. When I turn the defrost timer to make it defrost (it clicks), the defrost heaters do not come on. The temp never gets cold enough, and freezes up soon after defrosting. How cold does it have to be to make the defoster work. Any help out there?
Barry

Barry,

The defrost thermostat is rated at 60 dgrs., so as long as the evaporator arae is less than that, the heater should come on and defrost the evaporator coil.

Here's a basic defrost cycle operation :

The timer advances based on compressor run time, after 8 hours total run time, the timer advances into the defrost cycle.
When the defrost contacts close(in the timer) it sends 120 VAC from the timer to the defrost thermostat.
The thermostat (as long as it is a closed circuit) feeds the 120 VAC to the heater, the voltage passing through the heater causes the heater to get hot, and melt the ice on the coil.

With everything circuit checking proper, you'd need to conduct a voltage check, on each contact or terminal until you find the low voltage or no voltage to chassis ground, and repair or replace the previous component or wire.

:) :) :)
tclabare  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:41:19 AM(UTC)
tclabare

Joe, thanks for the quick response. What powers the defrost timer, maybe it's not getting power, how do I test for power to it, and how much voltage should there be? The ice maker quit working about the same time I started having problems. Both fans work, defrost element, defrost thermostat, and the defrost timer, checks ok with an Ohm meter. I swapped a timer just for the hell of it, same problem, the heaters never came on. Temp in the freezer is 39, temp in the fridg is 58F. Does the thermostat in the fridg have anything to do with this? I cleaned the condenser, with a vacuum about 3 months ago, its still somewhat clean. Since it is working, I hope that there is some hope for a repair, if not maybe it's time to replace it.
Barry

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Barry,

The defrost thermostat is rated at 60 dgrs., so as long as the evaporator arae is less than that, the heater should come on and defrost the evaporator coil.

Here's a basic defrost cycle operation :

The timer advances based on compressor run time, after 8 hours total run time, the timer advances into the defrost cycle.
When the defrost contacts close(in the timer) it sends 120 VAC from the timer to the defrost thermostat.
The thermostat (as long as it is a closed circuit) feeds the 120 VAC to the heater, the voltage passing through the heater causes the heater to get hot, and melt the ice on the coil.

With everything circuit checking proper, you'd need to conduct a voltage check, on each contact or terminal until you find the low voltage or no voltage to chassis ground, and repair or replace the previous component or wire.

:) :) :)
tclabare  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:44:08 AM(UTC)
tclabare

Joe, I just saw the voltage needed to run the heater, 120v.
Thanks again, Barry
Joe / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:26:26 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tclabare Go to Quoted Post
Joe, I just saw the voltage needed to run the heater, 120v.
Thanks again, Barry

OK,

So is it a problem with the heater or a loose connection ?

Let us know how we can help, if you need more.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply