Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perma  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 12:33:32 PM(UTC)
perma

Groups: Registered

I have an older 48" GE Monogram refrigerator. It has been icing up at the top of the freezer, resulting in icicles forming along the back wall, and in the fan above the panel. This stops the fan from spinning, and then food starts to warm up. I have done full defrosts multiple times, but it ices up again within 1-2 weeks. Things are frozen solid in the top half of the freezer, but the bottom half is thawing.

The timer, sitting above the refrigeration compartment, appears to be working, in that it sounds like it's running, and I can turn it off and on with a screwdriver.

I assume that it the defrost heater is working but I'm not sure. The icicles lead me to believe that it is thawing, and then dripping, and freezing.

I don't know if the thermocoupler is working or not....

Door seals: Seem good. Immediately after closing a door, I have to wait a few seconds to -reopen as the suction is too strong to open door. I wonder though, if there is a seal problem as the chassis seems a bit twisted. One door sits about 3/8" higher than the other. It appears to be leveled properly, but I can't get the doors to even out, making me wonder if the seals aren't sealing entirely...

I am about to install this in a newly remodeled kitchen, and build cabinets around it. Is it worth fixing, or should I look for a replacement $$:(

Thanks,

Scott
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.