Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
little chuck  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 2:02:07 PM(UTC)
little chuck

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I posted a random cooling problem that I was having with my GE Profile PSW23PSTASS refrigerator back in January. It now seems to have gone from a random cooling problem to a no cooling problem.

In November 2008, a service technician replaced the freezer evaporator fan. Since then, as I discussed in my previous post, I was experiencing problems with the refrigerator section warming up about every three weeks. The solution to this has been to unplug the refrigerator, wait a couple of minutes before plugging back in, and the refrigerator would start getting cold again. This morning, unplugging and resetting the refrigerator did not work. A service technician was at the house and just by looking inside the door he determined that the heater was bad (the evaporator fan was also not running). There was some ice forming in the back. He ordered the parts for the heater and will be back on Saturday.

Does this sound right? Any way for me to test this out before Saturday?

Thanks,

Rich
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:27:43 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Model PSW23PSTASS

In November 2008, a service technician replaced the freezer evaporator fan. Since then, as I discussed in my previous post, I was experiencing problems with the refrigerator section warming up about every three weeks. The solution to this has been to unplug the refrigerator, wait a couple of minutes before plugging back in, and the refrigerator would start getting cold again.

The above does not point to a defrost problem. Unplugging it for a few minutes is not going to defrost the unit. Unless unplugging it forces the unit into a defrost cycle which I doubt but is possible.

This morning, unplugging and resetting the refrigerator did not work. A service technician was at the house and just by looking inside the door he determined that the heater was bad (the evaporator fan was also not running). There was some ice forming in the back. He ordered the parts for the heater and will be back on Saturday.
Just seeing ice/frost on the back cover also does not mean you have a defrost problem. You have to be able to see the coils themselves. They have to be heavily iced/frosted up A light coating of frost on the coils is normal. The air must be able to flow through the evaporator in order to cool effectively. Remove the evaporator cover plate and check the coils.
If you have a meter check the heater for continuity.
PS: The heater in this unit is the glass type and they are crap. Often you can see where they have burned out.

Sounds more like a thermostat or a compressor start or control board problem to me. Since it is intermittent it is going to be a pain to find and probably fairly expensive.

Here are a couple links that have good basic info:
http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html
Refrigerator Repair Guide: How To Fix a Refrigerator - ACME HOW TO.com

Hopefully I am out to lunch with the above and all it needs is a defrost heater.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
little chuck  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:18:11 AM(UTC)
little chuck

Groups: Registered

Thanks, I will check the coils.

I'm with you on that this problem is going to be a pain to figure out. The refrigerator started working again last night around 5:00 pm and then stopped cooling at about 8:30 pm. This morning it was on.

When the service technician comes on Saturday with a new heater, I will tell him about these reoccurring problems.

Regarding my first post about unplugging and plugging the unit to get it to reset (after the first time a service technician came out and replaced the condenser fan), ice was not building up on the inside back area when I reset the refrigerator. I was doing this just to get it to start cooling again. I don't know if this helps, or if this eliminates this as a defrost problem, but like you mentioned this could be a thermostat or a compressor start or control board problem.

Thanks,

Rich
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:00:24 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is some info on an inverter type fridge which yours is
Panasonic i-inverter compressor refrigerator - another 30% reduction in power consumption - 7 refrigerators

Do an advance search in this forum using the refrigerator section for "inverter" and a few will pop up.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply