Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brian008  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:29:07 PM(UTC)
brian008

Groups: Registered

The refrig is 7 years old. I came home today with everything thawed in the freezer. The freezer and refrig are not cold at all. The lights work in both freezer and refrig. The condenser fan is working. What I believe to be the evap fan is also working. The compressor does not appear to be working. When I unplug power and plug it back in the compressor does not attempt to turn on. It appears that the compressor has failed. How can I confirm the compressor is failed before I bring a tech out to repair? According to my owner’s manual the compressor should still be covered under warranty.

Oh, and the refrig at the warmest setting has been freezing stuff on and off for about 4 years... based on other threads this is probably a separate issue.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brian008  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:38:36 PM(UTC)
brian008

Ok, after reading some more threads I decided to check the back of the circuit board. I found that one of the terminals had burned the solder out. I decided to re-solder the terminal and the compressor now works and there is cold air circulating.

Shouldn't I be concerned that this will happen again? Should I get a new board anyway? Or is there some other hardware issue?:confused:
Gene  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 2:43:19 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I would recommend to replace the control board because GE had redesigned it a few times and the new board hopefully is better.

- The part number for the main control board is AP4297272

Gene.
brian008  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 4:25:36 PM(UTC)
brian008

Thanks for the help Gene. The refrig is still working normally. But, I will replace it in the near future to prevent any future issues.

Brian
Gene  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2009 2:38:37 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You are welcome. Keep us posted.

Gene.
davidrueter  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 1:58:44 AM(UTC)
davidrueter

Brian, A big thank you for taking the time to post here.

I have the identical model fridge, exactly the same age, and it developed exactly the same problem earlier today.

After reading your post I found the same scorched solder connection on the control board. I re-soldered that, and everything is working fine.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your information here: it helped me tremendously.

Sincerely,

David R.
brian008  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:03:34 PM(UTC)
brian008

Dave - great to hear the info was able to help you. You should also know that last week the refrig stopped working again due to the same scorched solder joint. I repaired it but I figure it will just keep burning out. So, as Gene recommended, I ordered a new circuit board (p/n in above post) and will be installing it in the next few days to avoid any future problems.

Brian
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply