Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gcromer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2011 2:01:36 PM(UTC)
gcromer

Groups: Registered

My frig got to where it wasn't cooling and the freezer wasn't freezing also. The service guy came and first thing he pulled the cover off of where the evaporator is located and said that things were fine there. As he was putting the cover back on with the speed drill he put one screw in and it went into the evaporator, Bad news.. he went back to the shop to get another evaporator and I noticed that he was having trouble getting it back together.. After the frig was away from the wall he said that the condenser motor wasn't turning and that was the real trouble but it was turning now and then he told me that they didn't have and couldn't get the same evaporator for my model because it was discontuied so they got this one from a newer unit that had come in to have the evaporator replaced but it wasn't bad so they were putting it in mine.. He said that it was a little smaller and the fins were running opposite from mine but it would work. I'm finding that the freezer only gets down to 10 degrees where it use to get down to 0.. and it's taking a long time to make ice now.. I'm wondering if I should replace the condenser motor now because it didn't look like it was turning up to speed to me when I looked at it. I've even looked at replaceing the frig with a new one but because of the size of the opening that it has to go into, I can't find one like the one I have now with the water and ice in the front door. One that goes into the space would really be a down size from what I have now... The frig was doing so well until the fan went out. He also said he couldn't put in a replacement blower motor because Frigidaire had discontuied the motor also and since they were an aurthorized dealer they couldn't use replacement parts.. I'm not sure where I'm really at now, I've thought about getting a replacement motor and putting that in myself and hope that the freezer temp will come on down where it use to. I've done auto and home AC work before just not on the frigs.

Gerald K4NHN
Cayce, SC
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:28:29 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for FRIGIDAIRE FRS23R4CB0 Frigidaire/refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

The fan is Item F60 in Section 6.

Also the evaporator is Item F15 in the same section so you can check it's size against what the installed.
Each square is one inch.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
richappy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2011 3:04:57 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If your condenser is at a "normal" temperature, not too hot, your condenser motor is doing it's job.
Seems you either have a damaged compressor (if the fridg. was left running too long after the puncture), or it is running with contaminated refrigerant.
I have seen this often. Only pressure gauges and amprobe would confirm.
If the compressor is running hot, that would confirm contamination.
I just fixed a wine chiller with a punctured evaporator. The guy unplugged it real fast before the compressor sucked in air.
I epoxied the leak, purged the system, found the evaporator running below 30 lb vacuum which proved a good compressor, purged the system, added refrigerant, system worked fine.
I had one where the student said she unplugged it real fast, but when I taped the low side, water came out!!@#.
gcromer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2011 6:37:22 AM(UTC)
gcromer

Richappy, Deman, thanks for the reply to my problem. The unit was unplugged with in about a minute of the freon going out. The freezer has made it down to 5 degrees this morning... Like I've said in my first post I've done AC work on my cars and home and do have most everything that I would need. A couple of my concerns were how he did things... I asked about him about using a vacuum pump and he said that what he did was pressure it a few times untill it would pull a vacuum on his finger on the port and that got all of the moisture out.???? I asked how he measured the amount of freon, by weight or by volume, he said that he just watched the evaporator untill it frosted all the way to the top and that was it... He didn't replace the fan, so if it wasn't turning I'm guessing that maybe a couple of drops of oil on the shaft and turning it some may have free it up for a short time. But that wouldn't any lub to the end shaft. This is why I think I should go ahead and replace it. I do feel some air coming out from the front of the grill but not sure if it's turning fast enough to cool properly.. I can pull a vacuum on it and charge it myself, I do have digital scales to weigh it. It just seem to be taking a long time to get the temp down in the freezer and the ice holder isn't half full yet, it use to dump ice and fill it full in no time... I think that after so much went wrong that all he wanted to do was get out of there. And this is one of the largest parts dist and service centers here in town.. Next time i'll move the frig myself and check it myself, it's getting a little hard at 74..

Gerald K4NHN
Cayce, SC
richappy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 5, 2011 12:50:18 AM(UTC)
richappy

If you had a digital meter with a k type wire probe, you could measure the evaporator output temperature which should be like -5 degrees or less.
It is hard to calculate the efficiency, but a wild guess is you are probably wasting $10- 20 per month in electric cost for this fridg. with a higher than normal evaporator temperature.
gcromer  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 5, 2011 6:23:46 AM(UTC)
gcromer

Are you talking about strapping the probe on the evaporator line. I do have a K probe.

Can you get to this from the lower back of the frig or do I need to take the panel off of the inside of the freezer to get to it. That's where the evaporator is. The inside temp of the freezer has now worked it's way down to 0 degrees and the ice make has speeded up also.. I have a new condenser motor on the way. The one in there maybe has speeded up and the system is working better, but I think I should put the new one in to be sure I have enough cooling on the condenser. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Gerald K4NHN
Cayce, SC
richappy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 5, 2011 8:26:59 AM(UTC)
richappy

Yes, remove the cover and get it near the middle so you can get an average reading. Please post what temperature you get. However, it seems like your system is better than I thought.
gcromer  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 5, 2011 9:09:04 AM(UTC)
gcromer

It has gotten a little better each day, that's why I'm thinking that the condenser motor has maybe speeded up and I'm getting better cooling on it. The new motor will be in the latter part of next week and we'll see how it goes from there.

Gerald K4NHN
Cayce, SC
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply