Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ssss25  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 6:50:47 PM(UTC)
ssss25

Groups: Registered

Hi,

Fridge just about 5 year old, 2 weeks ago we woke up, and temp for Freezer/Fridge is about 30/42. We moved everything out and then it started cooling again. Vacuumed the back to allow air ventolation.

Then today, another hot day, and someone left the freezer door slightly open for 2 - 3 hours. Temp was 28 / 41. We closed the door and waited. Temp in freezer kept going up... about 1 hour later it was 35... and the Fridge still around 41. Anyways, after one more hour still it was getting warm. I opened the back and the fan in the back was running but the compressor was not on?!

as that point, compressor not coming on while fan was on, I thought it was relay or overload.

I unplugged fridge for 2 hours maybe, plugged it in and all works again, it's cooling again now.

Is this the controller or something screwy with defrost? Could defrost cycle what is warming up and is there some test?

Thanks for any hints. Where can i get a diagram to show me where all parts are for this?

Thanks..
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 2:06:55 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric PTS22LCSARWW Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is a manual. It is not for your specific unit but will give you an idea of how GE does things.
GE likes to keep all tech info a secret so I do not have access to a manuaal for this unit.

31-9072 Arctica Profile GE Side-by-Side Refrigerator Service Manual - ApplianceDigest.com

You have to join the site to download the manual but it is free and this is a very good site for manuals and other info for the appliance repair DIYer.

It does sound like a control board problem.
When you unplugged the unit the board reset and started regulating the temperature again.

It would have been better if you had just unplugged it for 5 minutes or so.
Then if it started up again I would be more confident that it is the board.

By letting the unit cool down it could be that you have a bad connection and it closed once the parts cooled off.
Unplug the unit and check the connections at the board.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ssss25  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:58:02 AM(UTC)
ssss25

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

I will try the 5 mins test.

So when I said that the compressor worked after I kept it off for couple of hours, that was at 9 pm. This morning at 7 the temp is as follows

39 freezer and 42 fridge. Its pretty empty so freezer should have. Reached close to its normal temp of zero. I opened the back and same thing. Back fan running. Compressor is not.

What are the symptoms of bad timers or temperature sensor for defrost system? Doing some reading around I read sometimes defroster heats the freezer and doesn't stop. Where should I feel the heat if so. Could that be my problem?

I will post back more details as I get them

I guess if relay or overload are the problem the compressor wont come up at all.. correct?

Thanks.
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:25:44 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="DarkRed"]What are the symptoms of bad timers or temperature sensor for defrost system?[/COLOR]
If the fan in the freezer was running you were not in a defrost cycle as that fan is shut off during defrost.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
Doing some reading around I read sometimes defroster heats the freezer and doesn't stop. Where should I feel the heat if so. Could that be my problem?[/COLOR]
I doubt it. The best way to check is to remove the cover from inside the freezer so you can see the defrost heater and the defrost coils.
You have to be careful to not burn your fingers if the element is on.
I doubt this is your problem.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I guess if relay or overload are the problem the compressor wont come up at all.. correct?[/COLOR]
Correct.
The best way is to check if the compressor/start relay is getting voltage.
If it is then it could be any one of the 3 compressor components.
Also check if the compressor is overly hot. This can indicate a compressor problem.

Here is a good link on how to check things.
Appliance Repair Guide: How To Fix a Refrigerator - ACME HOW TO.com
ssss25  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:57:25 AM(UTC)
ssss25

Thanks for the very quick reply.

You are right, the FAN in the freezer is running. So not a Defrost cycle. But now I know where the heater is. I will try to find out how to open it to check for sure.

I will check Compressor, but it's not on at all. It's cool. I doubt it's a compressor issue. Will check the website you sent me.. Checking it's getting any voltage is great idea. This way I know if it's being told to run but it's not.

The service manual is great, will try to look for the one for my fridge. Excellent links. Thanks a lot :)
ssss25  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:25:17 AM(UTC)
ssss25

Hi,
Will any of the tests that are mentioned in the service manual help in my case? And do you think they are the same sequence for my mode of fridge since I was not able to find a service manual.

Now trying to find out which terminals on the Relay to test if the controller is sending a voltage to activate Compressor.

Thanks.
jondurst  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:48:04 PM(UTC)
jondurst

Been struggling with an intermittent problem with my GE Profile side by side, happened last summer, then no probs throughout the winter. Recently temp started climbing, took off back panel, recleaned condenser loops. Emptied fridge and freezer, took off freezer panel. Shut off and let evaporator coils thaw. The coils didn't look that bad. Checked the defroster heater, no continuity between the ends, thinking that may be part of the problem. Just wondering if it is just the heater or the motherboard as well, seems to get better after unplugging it and waiting awhile to plug it back in.
Thanks,
Jon
denman  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2011 12:41:09 AM(UTC)
denman

jondurst

Please start your own post using "POST NEW TOPIC" in this forum section.

Your problem is different and it will just confuse things by just adding to ssss25's post.

Also include the make and model number.
ssss25  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:18:32 AM(UTC)
ssss25

Hi..

Things got complicated yesterday. I went home and both temps were 55. I thought this is normal as compressor is not running. To my surprise this compressor was running.. and it was pretty how.

Although it was running.. temp climbed a bit more... then.. the temperature started to decrease.. faster on freezer side. It reached maybe around 10 then I went to bed.

In the morning freezer was 37 and fridge 4x.. I didn't hear compressor then.

Since compressor was running.. hot and no cooling I am thinking its beyond the board now..

Any ideas?
denman  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:48:50 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Since compressor was running.. hot and no cooling I am thinking its beyond the board now..[/COLOR]
Yes the above points to a sealed system problem.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Any ideas?[/COLOR]
Check your warranty on the unit.
If the sealed system is covered then you may want to place a service call.
Make sure to read the fine print in case they only cover parts etc.

If the unit is out of warranty and you are confident that it is a sealed system problem and it does sound like it is to me then the repair will be expensive with no guarantee of a long term fix.
Often it makes more sense to put those dollars towards a new unit.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply