Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
buford  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 14, 2009 9:59:56 PM(UTC)
buford

Groups: Registered

Hello, I have lost track of how many defrost heaters I have replaced in this refrigerator. I want to modify this with a whirlpool cal rod heater or any other brand that is shortest in length. Both the quartz and cal rod heaters connect to 115V as you know. What I have to do is bend the cal rod in loops small enough to fit where the quartz heater was, and additionally I have to make some brackets to hold it to the frame. Splicing it in is no problem. What I would like to know from the experts of this forum is how bendable you think these heaters might be. I've found manufacturers of the raw cal rod's that claim they are very bendable. These looked more copperish than the black cal rods by whirlpool. I would think that if the manufacturers didn't pre-heat these to test them that they would be fairly flexible. I otherwise like this refrigerator but have been inconvenienced too many times and lost alot of food when away. Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2009 2:10:02 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I think they make a two coil heater for your refrigerator, much more reliable.
Will confirm it next week, my two on line parts sites are not working today. This site shows a single coil.
If it's not available, I would seal the ends of the heater with high temp. silicone cement.
This will prevent water entering the heater. Or, you can opt for a heater with rubber caps on the ends. Something like the AP4070699, about 9 inches long. This is a two coil unit, but your evaporator may have a second space for it.
buford  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2009 9:25:22 PM(UTC)
buford

Thanks Rich, The replacement for the single heater, 51X10053 no has two quartz tubes on the same size bracket. There is also another space higher up for a second heater. I've seen these kits but they cost more and I'm not sure if they make them for this fridge. I'm not how the quartz glass would react to silicone cement. It sound like a good idea though, if it can withstand the temperature. I'm not sure where I would even get any. Automotive silicone isn't tough enough. The heater has rubber seals in the end caps but I think they dry up in time. I figured I'd order a spare the other day to have on hand because the one in it is about 2-3 years old. I figure that while I was on the phone it must have read my mind because it died. I had to do the hairdryer defrost while I waited for delivery. The way I figure, these quartz heaters are a lousy design. From what I've read, the cal rods rarely fail, so why nor retrofit. While I was replacing it tonight I took pic's and measurements and I figure I can S-loop a 24" cal rod about 4 times and It'll fit. If no one knows if these are that bendable I guess I'll just have to buy one and find out. Thanks to anyone that might know.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 12:31:45 AM(UTC)
richappy

I would not bend a cal rod that much. The new two coil heater runs at 1/4 power density and last a long time.
buford  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 8:20:58 PM(UTC)
buford

Thanks Rich, I'll look into the 2 heater. I notice that all of the failures are usually in the middle of the tube which seems to rule out water infiltration. Maybe it's just old age fatigue. Do you know it the 2 heater ones are serial or parallel. I also wonder if one side burns out if the other one will work, giving more time in use. I will still try to find an inexpensive short cal rod and try that with gradual bends. I figure if the bends are no more than 90 deg. like most of them are then it should work. The problem with the glass heaters is that they can fail anytime. Usually at the most inconvenient time of the year when food is stocked. As they say, it's not a matter of if, but when it will fail. Thanks for your feedback.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:37:55 AM(UTC)
richappy

The two heaters are in series, 1/2 voltage=1/4 power.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply