Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Reedster  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 11:34:40 AM(UTC)
Reedster

Groups: Registered

Reading other threads has really helped me understand how these appliances work. The problem I'm having is with my side by side fridge, the evaporator fan does not work, so the fridge and freezer sides are both warm. The evaporator coils were frosted over, but only the lower half. I have since replaced the defrost timer control and the two heater units with attached thermostat. The evaporator fan still does not work and now the light in the freezer doesn't work either. Any help would be great! Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2011 2:53:16 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric TPX24BPBABB Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

This is a GE so getting any tech info on it is a real problem.
GE likes to keep everything a secret.

Could be that the interior light quitting is just a coincidence and it has burned out.
Or it may be a real problem and you have a bad connection somewhere in the unit.

Check to see if the fan is getting 120 volts.
If it is and is not running then it is toast.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Reedster  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2011 6:02:00 AM(UTC)
Reedster

Thanks for the reply! I did find that the light was out only because the connections for the socket came loose when I reinstalled it. The fan still didn't work though. I'll test the voltage to the fan...but how do you get at the fan? It appears that the plastic fan cover is connected to the evaporator coils, and when I try to remove this cover the whole coil system also moves. Yikes.
Reedster  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2011 4:04:21 PM(UTC)
Reedster

Just as a follow-up: was able to remove the evap fan and it was dead, non continuity between the leads. Bought a new one and installed and now everything works. Not sure if the defroster control timer or if the heaters were also culprits, but they weren't that expensive and now I have new parts that should last a long time. Still a lot cheaper than a service call!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply