Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ozshadow  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 5:12:12 AM(UTC)
ozshadow

Groups: Registered

Thanks in advance.

We have an Amana side by side refrigerator Model SXD25S2L P1303504W L

The freezer is only getting to 22 degrees on the max setting now. The food side is 38-45.

I do not think it is making ice anymore and ice cream is too soft to eat.

Yesterday I cleaned the condenser coils on the bottom hoping to fix it. They were extremely dirty with grey fuzz. I was amazed it cooled at all. Brushed and vacuumed, it made no noticeable difference.

The fan on the back and in the freezer runs fine when it is on. It will run for several hours then turn off for about an hour it seems. The only noises I hear are the fans blowing/hum now.

I think the compressor is on but I’m not sure. I know when I had the back cardboard off it was hot. Not too hot to touch, but almost.

For the past several months I have noticed a single loud click every once in a while, like you hit a plate with a spoon. There was no buzzing or anything and it did not repeat for several hours.

I haven’t noticed that sound lately, but I may have missed it.

Edits:

It was just off for about an hour and then I heard a "click" and everything started running. No other strange noises. Just the fans and what I think was the compressor, but it does not sound different than the fans to me.

I just checked the coils behind the panel in the bottom rear of the freezer. They are clean with zero frost except for a tiny bit on the top pipe just as it leads into the coil. The coil was not cold at all. The air blowing around is cold, but not the coils.

I just checked the start relay on the side. It had two parts. A while plastic thing on 1 pin and a brown one on two pins. Neither rattled like they were broken. The white one rattled like loose metallic connectors jingling. When I plugged it back in it felt like the compressor ran. It was an extremely faint vibration and tinkling sound. I wasn't sure if this was the fan nearby resonating or not. It was still hot though.

Now my temp in the freezer is up in the 30/40's due to having the door open to check the coils. After about an hour is was back down to 28, but it is quite full.

The fridge is a 1997 model I believe. It was here when we bought the house several months ago.

Thanks again.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.