Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrTom  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:14:12 PM(UTC)
MrTom

Groups: Registered

My 1998 KitchenAid KSSS42QDW05 side-by-side seems to run too long and, more disturbingly, the freezer air temperature (measured by temperature sensor placed in freezer) occasionally rises many degrees even as the compressor is running. The refrigerator temperature is not a problem.

A typical cooling cycle is compressor off for 23 minutes followed by compressor on for 56 minutes with freezer air temperature going from 5.8F to -2.3F degrees. During a defrost period the temperature usually rises to about 24. Then the compressor runs for 3+ hours to bring the freezer temperature down to -2.3.

This morning (without having opened either freezer or refrigerator door) the “compressor on/temperature rises” event occurred. Some of the time/temperature reading were 7:35/0.2, 7:52/2.5, 8:00/4.9, 8:15/7.2, 8:28/8.8. At 8:00 I manually advanced the defrost timer a bit--no effect. At 8:10 I manually advanced the timer to and right through the defrost period--no effect. At 8:30 I switched off the unit for 10 minutes. That seemed to fix it because after that it cooled as usual.

Once before when this happened I switched off the unit, removed the defrost timer and checked for timer continuity of the defrost circuit (no continuity) and of the compressor circuit (continuity) and they were normal. Yesterday, starting with freezer air temperature -2.2, in 11 minutes with compressor running I unloaded the freezer and exposed the evaporator coils. There was no ice buildup and no frost. I closed the freezer door, let compressor run for an hour, and checked the coils again. This time there as a light frost over all the coils with slightly more at the top than the bottom.

Help! What’s the problem with my KitchenAid and what should I do about it?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.