Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chi_guy50  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 2, 2009 11:41:17 AM(UTC)
chi_guy50

Groups: Registered

The lights in the refrigerator section do not usually come on when the door is opened. It appears to be a defect in the light switch (Part Number: AP4127249)--possibly loss of spring tension--because I can always get the lights to come on by playing with the switch rocker once the door is open.

I have consulted an on-line service manual but have not found specific instructions for removing the light switch. The manual does provide detailed and rather complicated procedures for removing the entire light bulb assembly, but I am hoping that this will not be necessary in the case of the switch. I have also read a post on another site in which the user claims to have removed the light switch simply by "inserting a knife between the switch and the plastic interior in order to pop the switch out." However, I am not sure how credible this information is and I do not want to cause any permanent and avoidable damage to the plastic light module housing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 3, 2009 9:10:23 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The following instructions are very similar to the instructions you quoted: slide a small flat-blade screwdriver under the switch and push the locking tab. Pull out the switch. Do not do it until you'll received the new part. Looking at the new part you can see exactly how to do it.

Gene.
chi_guy50  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 4, 2009 5:12:40 AM(UTC)
chi_guy50

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
The following instructions are very similar to the instructions you quoted: slide a small flat-blade screwdriver under the switch and push the locking tab. Pull out the switch. Do not do it until you'll received the new part. Looking at the new part you can see exactly how to do it.

Gene.

Thanks, Gene. The replacement switch is on order and is due for delivery today. But curiosity got the better of me yesterday and I went ahead and cautiously pried the old switch out. Once I got it started I could see that it was just being held in place by the two tabs on the side. I removed the switch and checked the body to see whether I could access the interior parts, but it appears that the plastic body is glued together and I would probably have to break it apart in order to check out the parts inside.

I reconnected the switch and popped it back in place, and now the lights come on every single time we open the refrigerator door! I can't see any difference in the way the switch is seated in its socket and thus cannot account for the improvement. If the problem is a lack of spring tension in the rocker I don't see how it could rectify itself. Any suggestions on what I'm dealing with here? (Failing advice to the contrary, I plan to hold on to the new part once it arrives and leave the old switch in place unless and until it starts failing again.)

BTW, I had contacted Amana/Whirlpool customer service twice on this issue, and they just blew me off. I can understand their reluctance to provide repair guidance or problem diagnosis remotely for liability reasons, but I had specifically requested only that they tell me how I can access the light switch, and they pointedly refused give me an answer.
magician59  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 4, 2009 5:49:20 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

We can't assume anything: [COLOR="Red"]Make sure the unit is unplugged before removing the switch.[/COLOR]
Honeysalgal  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:25:05 AM(UTC)
Honeysalgal

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post

Gene.

Gene: light will not work even when changing bulb. I found a light switch part that I can order. Is this what we need? Thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply