Discuss

frost free refrigerator/freezer frosting over on back wall or bottom freezer

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

My Amana refrigerator is about 5 years old. Today I opened the freezer to get something out and noticed food

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » frost free refrigerator/freezer frosting over on back wall or bottom freezer

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 03:57 PM

bwheeler is on a distinguished road
Default frost free refrigerator/freezer frosting over on back wall or bottom freezer
Brand: Amana   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

My Amana refrigerator is about 5 years old. Today I opened the freezer to get something out and noticed food was starting to thaw. My refrigerator has a bottom freezer. Also the back wall of the freezer was frosted over. Any ideas what may be wrong. Thanks.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 PM

phil8192 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwheeler View Post
My Amana refrigerator is about 5 years old. Today I opened the freezer to get something out and noticed food was starting to thaw. My refrigerator has a bottom freezer. Also the back wall of the freezer was frosted over.
It's most likely a failure of one of the automatic defrost components -- the defrost timer, the defrost heater element, or the defrost thermostat. If any one of them fails, the evaporator coils won't get defrosted every 6-8 hours as they should and quickly get clogged with frost. Once they are clogged, cold air can't flow past the coils and circulate, so the freezer and fresh food sections tend to get warm.

If you're willing and capable of doing the work yourself, the parts will cost somewhere in the range of $140-$200, if all need to be replaced; the defrost heating element is typically the most expensive, running around $60-$70 from an appliance parts store, followed by the defrost timer. If it's just one part, such as the defrost thermostat, it can be purchased for less than $20. Some newer refrigerators use an electronic "motherboard" that controls all functions in the refrigerator, and instead of a defrost thermostat, these units use a thermistor, not likely to fail. If the defrost heater element checks out OK (it should have a resistance reading in the range of 10-40 ohms), then one would need to replace the entire motherboard.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:16 AM

sembo is on a distinguished road
Default my freezer build ice

HI why is my kenmore freezer build ice..thanks
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.