Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Clarence Profilet  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:43:16 AM(UTC)
Clarence Profilet

Groups: Registered

A tech just replaced the condenser fan motor and I asked about the direction of the air flow through the fan. He said that the flow was toward the compressor (or the left viewed from the back of the refrig). This seems to be contrary to the way the air moves through the front grill. (in toward the condenser coils and out over the pan) Can you help with this question. What is the proper air direction? Can the direction of rotation of the motor be reversed by reversing the leads? Does it make any difference which way the fan blade is mounted on the fan?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:06:20 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The new condenser fan motor comes with the installation instructions. You can not reverse the leads because the wire harness plug can be plugged into the motor only one way. The same thing about the fan blade.

Is there something wrong with the refrigerator? Why did you question the fan motor installation?

Gene.
Clarence Profilet  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2009 3:30:57 AM(UTC)
Clarence Profilet

Groups: Registered

Gene, The fan motor is extremely noisy. The tech had to cut the connector off the replacement motor and re-connect using screw type wire connectors. He tried two different motors but both were noisy. I suspect maybe a fan blade may be the problem. I was a new blade that came with the replacement motor. Having the fan push the air toward the compressor side of the refrig seemed to be contrary to good design and I thought the noise might be coming from the fan blade interacting with the fan shroud. Could it be an out of balance fan blade? Any other thoughts? The refrig sounds like a helicopter flying over the house when it comes on. The wife's solution is to get a new refrig. This one is less than 3 years old!! Help
Clarence
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2009 9:44:30 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Clarence,

I believe the fan blade is touching something.

The best solution in such situation is to spend a little bit more money before you'll buy a new refrigerator and get a second opinion.

Gene.
icehouse  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 6, 2009 9:22:53 AM(UTC)
icehouse

Groups: Senior Expert

From AppliancePartsPros Parts department :
Condenser motor kit - Includes: motor, fan blade and wire harness.
So why did he need to "cut" anything if everything comes complete ?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply