Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jackc1  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 6:51:48 PM(UTC)
jackc1

Groups: Registered

My Whirlpool ED20TKXFW01 fridge was not staying on so I recently purchased a new thermostat but cannot get the plastic cover where the temp control knobs are located, to drop down to access the thermostat. In the attached picture, the box where the thermostat is located is connected to the top inside of the refrigerator compartment.

I have removed 6 screws under the front cover but the cover is still attached at the inside/ top-front of the refrigerator. I dont want to force anything, as the parts are plastic. Any suggestions as to accessing the themostat are greatly appreciated.
jackc1 attached the following image(s):
Thermostat Cover.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kayakcrzy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:34:06 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

Take the other dial off also, and now the plastic escuten plate that has the writing on it needs to come off. So get a thin screw driver, and slide it under the cover on the bottom right corner, and pop it out, and then slowly pop it out all the way around. Once you get that off, there will be a 1/4 inch screw on the front of the cover on the right side and the left side. Take them out. Then stick your head inside the refrigerator, and underneath the control cover on the right and the left side there will be another 1/4 screw to take out on each side, then the control cover will drop down. Then inside the refrigerator you have to take off the side cover, because that is where the thermostat wire is being hid. Now, three words to the wise on this job. Look and see how the thermostat wire goes around the air baffle control, and also look at the white cover that is around the thermostat wire, and notice if the end of the wire sticks out or not, then do the same when you install the cover on the new one. Pull the white cover off the old one, and get the new thermostat, and straighten out the wire, so there is no kinks in it, and put the white cover on the new one. Take your time, and don't break the wire. If you do, you will be buying another. Let me know how it goes. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
jackc1  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:18:57 AM(UTC)
jackc1

Groups: Registered

You are a Great help.

1. OK I got the white cover on the wire without an issue; I wrapped the wire around the back 'baffle'; [ am calling the baffle the thing which has styrofoam around it in back of refrigerator top]. But I dont recall where the tip of the wire should end up???. Is it just hanging toward back of the baffle ; does it go inside the slots in the white plastic baffle etc>>.

2. All is good other than I need 2 nuts [for the back of the screws] to secure the thermostat to the metal harness/frame. I dont recall a nut being on back of the frame, but seem to need one now as when I push the knob for the temp control back on the thermo slips back; so just need to secure it.
kayakcrzy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:54:23 PM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

You might have put the wrong screws in some where else to mount the thermostat. Do what you need to mount the thermostat. That is why I told you to look at it first. I am sorry I can't remember. It might not make a difference. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply