Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
don8ch  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 1, 2011 2:57:31 PM(UTC)
don8ch

Groups: Registered

Recently our refrigerator has started "clicking" on a fairly regular basis. It sounds like a relay or similar but I haven't torn anything apart to listen more closely. It still is operating fine. It does NOT have an ice-maker or other options to confuse things.

Any ideas? Don
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2011 4:56:14 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would verify the condenser coils are clean and condenser motor working and make sure the compressor is not overheating.
If everything checks out, you have a hard starting compressor, most probably will get worse in time.
You can try a new start device, however they rarely fail in this way, try AP3595163. Also, put a surge protector on the wall outlet, 1000 joules available at Wall Mart, made for appliances; will prevent further damage.
don8ch  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2011 12:03:50 PM(UTC)
don8ch

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
I would verify the condenser coils are clean and condenser motor working and make sure the compressor is not overheating.
If everything checks out, you have a hard starting compressor, most probably will get worse in time.
You can try a new start device, however they rarely fail in this way, try AP3595163. Also, put a surge protector on the wall outlet, 1000 joules available at Wall Mart, made for appliances; will prevent further damage.

Thank you very much for your reply and assistance. The condenser coils were covered in a blanket of dust. I vacuumed them as thoroughly as possible but it is really only possible to get at the rearmost coils. The other coils didn't appear to be as dirty so, hopefully, enough dust was removed to allow the coils to do their job.

The good news is that I have not heard a single click since the clean-up although the unit has gone through 3 cycles, so far.

Thanks again. People like you make this a great site for people who like to check things out for themselves before (or instead of) making the service call.

Don :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply