Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
joedadog  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:35:23 PM(UTC)
joedadog

Groups: Registered

I have read a lot about bad evaporator fans and how to test the fan and mother board. Gene has been very helpful but I would like some reassurance before I spend the money on a mother board. Here is what I have found out. My frig is six years old and stopped cooling. I took the back panel off the freezer and found that the coil is getting cold and starting to frost up, but the fan is spinning very, very faint and not circulating any air. to cool the freezer or refrigerator. At room temperature when I plug it in the freezer temp says 0 and the frig says 70. Is that ok, or should the freezer read higher (seems the temp on digital setting only goes from -6 to 6)?
I used an ohm meter and found the following, unplugged at room temp:
J2 harness #8 (red) and J2 #3 (white) - 950 ohm
red and white wires at fan plug- 1774 ohms
J2 #3 (white) and J2 #4 (yellow) 2.752M ohms
When plugged in J2 #3 white and J2 #4 yellow 2.7 VDC.
I think the board and fan need to be replaced, is that correct. I understand the evap thermistor should be replaced at same time. Please help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:17:27 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
It is recommended to replace both of them (the fan motor and the control board) if the voltage is incorrect. Also it is recommended to replace the evaporator thermistor too. You can buy the thermistor and the motor as an assembly.

- The part number for the main control board is AP3957581

- The part number for the evaporator motor assembly is AP3191003

Gene.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:39:52 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Unfortunately, GE has designed the motherboard to fail when the evaporator motor fails!!
Bill Lumbard  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:45:53 AM(UTC)
Bill Lumbard

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately, GE has designed the motherboard to fail when the evaporator motor fails!!

Hi Gene
I have a GE fridge freezer TPG 24 PFCB WW the condenser fan turns very slowley with very little power, the compressor is very hot, even when the freezer is set at full freeze will only go down to -6 and the casing of fridge freezer is quite hot, is it a control board failure that causes the fan to run slow ? the service guy says blockage in the refrigent system is causing the fan to run slow and wants me to buy a new fridge ? after he left I removed the condenser fan blade and fitted a bathroom fan module over the fan apeture and tempreture is dropping quickly, proving the refrigent system and compressor are ok and that the service guy was talking thro his A---

Just wonder what would be the long term consiquence of leaving the external fan on permanently are, or will the defrost system still work OK . since no one over in the UK here seems able or willing to ID or supply a circuit board or module to control the condenser fan or even tell me how to get at it
,hope you can advise Kind Regards Bill UK
richappy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:31:58 AM(UTC)
richappy

You do NOT have a motherboard in your fridge. You condenser motor probably takes standard 115 AC or whatever voltage you have there in country. Your substitute should be fine.
Bill Lumbard  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:15:04 PM(UTC)
Bill Lumbard

You do NOT have a motherboard in your fridge. You condenser motor probably takes standard 115 AC or whatever voltage you have there in country. Your substitute should be fine.

Hi Rich
Thanks, by the way we are on 240 v AC in the UK.

This fridge as a diagnostics panel on the front and there appears to be a whole bunch of wires going to the condenser motor are you sure their is no speed or switching control ?

:confused: Kind regards Bill
richappy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:37:43 PM(UTC)
richappy

Just check to see what voltage the motor is designed for. You may have a DC motor, they have used these to save energy.
Bill Lumbard  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:05:37 AM(UTC)
Bill Lumbard

Just check to see what voltage the motor is designed for. You may have a DC motor, they have used these to save energy.

Hi Rich
Thanks you were dead right the motor feed is standard mains voltage.
I was not origenaly able to track the wires inside the fridge casing.

Ive now got the fan out and tested it it is a DC motor with an AC power supply on a card inside the motor casing this is FAULTY

Ive ordered a standard universal AC fan motor and will fit it tommorow Thanks Again Bill UK
richappy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:50:55 AM(UTC)
richappy

I am sure you are saving a lot of money going for the universal motor and it will be more reliable.
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2024 2:28:05 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
GNE27JMMKFES Frig.
frig warm, freezer cold. Replaced the evaporator fan and control circuit board at the same time. No change Ice maker lightss working at least in frig, not sure about freezer. Condenser coils clean and fan working. Can't get the evaporator fan to run!
Please help.

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply