Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kcatlin  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:03:38 PM(UTC)
kcatlin

Groups: Registered

Well here we go again...

I have had this problem twice now and my wife is barking that we need a new fridge, but I have other ideas on how to spend our money.

I replaced the defrost heater last year with the updated two tube design, fixed the problem, until now. The problem has returned and all I would like is a layout of the parts. I see the defrost termination thermostat and I see another white cylinder tied to the coils as well. Is there a way to test these parts before I just start replacing everything?

When I test the element I get about 27 ohms, so I think it is good.

I tested the termination thermostat and it is open. The actual rubber inside part was popped up on one side. I don't know if that would make a difference.

What should I check and do I have a defrost timer? If so where is it and can I override it, just to test the rest of the system.

Thanks for any info!

Kevin
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2011 2:40:20 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric GSL22JFPCBS Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I see the defrost termination thermostat and I see another white cylinder tied to the coils as well. Is there a way to test these parts before I just start replacing everything?[/COLOR]
The white cylinder is a thermistor (temperature sensor).
See the link to the manual I believe it is the same in these units as far as resistance.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
When I test the element I get about 27 ohms, so I think it is good.[/COLOR]
Yes it looks OK.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I tested the termination thermostat and it is open. The actual rubber inside part was popped up on one side. I don't know if that would make a difference.[/COLOR]
Yes it will. It kills power (wired in series) to the defrost element once the ice has melted off the evaporator coils to prevent excessive heat in the freezer. It should be 0 ohms when frozen. It opens just above freezing.
It sounds like water has got into it and bulged the thermostat so it needs replacing even if it tests OK.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]What should I check and do I have a defrost timer? If so where is it and can I override it, just to test the rest of the system.[/COLOR]
There is no defrost timer, defrost is controlled from the main board. See the manual.

Here is a manual although it does not list your unit your's should be close. In any case it is the best I can do as GE likes to keep everything a secret. You could look under the unit in the machine compartment to see if they have put a tech sheet in there.
31-9072 Arctica Profile GE Side-by-Side Refrigerator Service Manual - ApplianceDigest.com
You may have to join the site to download the manual but it is free and this is a very good site for manuals.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply