Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
anfurnee  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:18:43 PM(UTC)
anfurnee

Groups: Registered

I have a Magic Chef Refrigerator
Model# CTN1911GEW
Serial# 13432099AT
For about a week it hasn't been freezing the food all the way through, ice cream would melt to water in 2 to three days. Now water is driping from the bottom of freezer door. I looked and saw a BB size hole in the rubber seal. Will that be my problem? If not what woul be?
Thank you for your help, Tony
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:17:07 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts.
Replacement parts for MAGIC CHEF CTN1911GEW REF - TOP MOUNT | AppliancePartsPros.com

I doubt the hole is causing your problem.
Is your compressor running?
Does it cycle on/off or is it on all the time?

You can usually hear the compressor running also it should be vibrating and warm.

Here is a link to basic fridge repair info.
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig.html
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
anfurnee  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:45:36 AM(UTC)
anfurnee

Groups: Registered

Thank you Denman for your much need help. Besides the new links you sent me I don't know where else to go for help.
Can I hear or feel if the compressor is running?
How long is the cycle that turns it on/off?
If compressor is on all the time will that cause my problem?
Again, thank you very much and I will look up those links you sent me. Tony
denman  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 3:37:49 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Can I hear or feel if the compressor is running?[/COLOR]
Yes usually you can here is also you should be able to feel it vibrating and it should be warm.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]How long is the cycle that turns it on/off?[/COLOR]
Cycles can vary greatly it depends on ambient temperature, what you set point temperatures are, how clean the condenser coils are etc.
But if it is cycling then the unit does think it is getting to set point temperature.
So if it cycles but is not getting cold enough the thermostat comes to the top of the list as the probable culprit.
Note: the unit will shut off the compressor and fans every 10 hours when it goes through a defrost cycle, it usually lasts around half an hour.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
If compressor is on all the time will that cause my problem?[/COLOR]
No. But it is a symptom of your problem. The unit is trying to get to set point temperature but cannot for some reason and therefore runs the compressor all the time trying to lower the temperature.

Check that the fan in the freezer is running. It is required to pull air through the evaporator coils so they can cool the air.

Remove the cover from inside the freezer so you can see the evaporator coils.

If they are heavily frosted/iced up you have a defrost problem. The fan then cannot pull air through the coils so it does not cool properly and you can never reach set point.

If there is no frost or just frost in one area then you probably have a sealed system problem. his can be a bad compressor, low on freon, out of freon or a plug in the system. The repair will be expensive as you will need a pro also there is no guarantee of a long term fix. Usually it makes more sense to invest those dollars into a new unit.

Note: Be sure to check this after the unit (compressor) has run for a couple hours. If you do it shortly after a defrost cycle the coils will be frost free and you could end up with an incorrect diagnosis.

Also concerning your original post.
The water dripping out of the door may be normal if this unit has run for a number of years. Warm moist air often gets into a door slowly over time.
But it may also be a problem, check that the inside door cover is not cracked etc. If it is either replace it or seal the crack using the metal fridge repair tape. It is best to use the tape on the back side.
I am not sure what they use in the door as insulation.
If it is styrofoam then just let the door totally defrost and all the water run out. Does not hurt to open it up and dry it out and also see what is going on.
Depends on how thorough you want to be.
If it is fiberglass then you will have to remove the inner door cover and either replace or dry out (which can take forever) the fiberglass. Wet fiberglass has little if any insulation value.

I would not bother with the above till you figure out your cooling problem.
No use putting the work in if the sealed system is toast.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply