Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tc38  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:46:28 AM(UTC)
tc38

Groups: Registered

GE - GTS22IBMBRWW

If I set the bottom higher than 3, the top wont freeze and if I set the top lower than 7 the top wont freeze.

The freezor over the last 2 weeks has been defrosting the food intermittantly. The defrost cycle wont turn off and the freezor liquifies the ice and foods.

For the freezor section to freeze I have to have top freezor section set to 7 and the bottom part set to no higher than 3.
If I set the bottom part to 4 the top wont freeze. I don't understand why this would be but that is how it works.

Tonight the defrost cycle would not stop running so I unplugged the refrigerator and waited a minute or so and plugged it back in.
It took a long time for it to start to do anything, longer than 30 minutes and then the compressor came on and it started to freeze again.

I had a technician come last week and he said he thought it was the motherboard but reading through various posts here and other places it
could also be the thermostat for the defroster but I have no way to check that.

I took a look at the motherboard without touching it and it seems straight forward to replace it, something I feel I could do.
Looks like one of the connectors would be a pain to remove though, the one with the three prongs pointed to the right side of the
mobo. The other molex connectors seem easy enough to remove though.

I don't know if this is a motherboard issue or a defrost thermostat issue. This just started happening a few weeks ago, but is happening more often.
The freezor defrosting everything and the heater not shutting off. I also notice it defrosts more often than it used to, I don't access the refrigerator
any more often than I have but the defrost comes on and stays on longer.

When the tech was here last week he cleaned the dust and lint off everything he could on the bottom of the refrigerator.
There isn't any access to anything above from what I can see, just two plates, one on bottom and one covering the motherboard,
everything else is sealed up.

From what I described is this a motherboard issue or could it be a thermostat? I don't know how to replace a thermostat
but the motherboard seems straight forward though the price is at a level I don't want to get it if it wont solve the problem.

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

tc38  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:38:29 PM(UTC)
tc38

I ordered a new motherboard from this site on Wednesday, received it the next day via fedex. I installed it and 5 hours later the freezor is still frozen and the bottom part is cold. I take this as a good sign.

Will watch it close over the next week or so to see what it does. As long as what needs to be frozen stays frozen and what needs to be cold stays cold, it's all good.

Over the last 3 weeks or sothe freezor would defrost the food do to the defrost cycle staying on. Will be watching for the cycles and see they are working.

It wasn't hard at all to replace the motherboard, no need to clip wires or anything like that on this model. The new board is designed different than the old one and the ground wire is in a different place. I had to do some surgery on the cover plate to remove part of the seal around a hole on the left side of the plate and wipe it down with alchol and wire brush to remove the sticky residue or there would not be a proper contact for the ground wire.

Other than that, it was a 15 to 20 minute job, would have been 5 if I didn't have to prepare a new hole for the ground wire. The other one the ground wire is at the top, on this new model it is on the bottom and the wire is not long enough to reach up to the top hole. Oh and there is only ONE way to install it so I couldn't turn it upside down to make it work and if I could the molex connectors wouldn't reach up that high, the wires are too short and you can't adjust them from what I can tell.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 12:26:57 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would monitor the freezer temperature to verify no defrost problems, you might have a ongoing problem with the evaporator thermistor, a long, white thing clipped to the top of the evaporator.
tc38  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 7:51:35 PM(UTC)
tc38

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
I would monitor the freezer temperature to verify no defrost problems, you might have a ongoing problem with the evaporator thermistor, a long, white thing clipped to the top of the evaporator.

I set the freezor to 8 out of 9 and it took the temp to -6 almost -7... I adjusted the temp to 7 out of 9 and and the bottom I set to 5 and the freezor is steady at -1 to -2 and the bottom part I am still watching but it seems as of now anyway the temp for that section wont go below 36 to 37 degrees.

I was trying to get it closer to 32 but seems it wont go that low. BUT before I replaced the motherboard I could never set the bottom above 3 without the freezor defrosting everything so the new mobo is an improvement at least so far.

Only thing I noticed is the fan has not gone into HIGH mode but maybe because it doesn't need too? I opened both the freezor and fresh food doors until the motor started up and it took 15 to 20 minutes for the temp in the freezor to go back to -3 from a positive 4. I take that as good. 4 hours later the temp stabalized at -1 or at least it didn't move from that for more than an hour.

I am watching the temp in the fresh food section and it at this moment is 35.6 F. I am using a wireless outdoor thermometer from LL Bean that I put directly in the refridgerator and the reader is here on my desk so I can wirelessly keep tabs on the temp. Only have the one gadge though so I have to manually move it back and forth between the sections.

I am sure it is not 100% accurate but most gadges aren't, if this is close to what the readout says I am good with it. Currently the fresh food section temp is 35.2 and falling. Will watch it and figure the final setting will be sometime Monday so I will keep the gadge in the frozen food section until then and move it to the freezor section and see what that stabalizes at.

But like I said before I could not have these settings without freezor defrosting and now both sections are cold though I would like the fresh food a little colder but I guess as long as it is below 40F it is good.
tc38  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 7:55:47 PM(UTC)
tc38

Originally Posted by: tc38 Go to Quoted Post
I set the freezor to 8 out of 9 and it took the temp to -6 almost -7... I adjusted the temp to 7 out of 9 and and the bottom I set to 5 and the freezor is steady at -1 to -2 and the bottom part I am still watching but it seems as of now anyway the temp for that section wont go below 36 to 37 degrees.

I was trying to get it closer to 32 but seems it wont go that low. BUT before I replaced the motherboard I could never set the bottom above 3 without the freezor defrosting everything so the new mobo is an improvement at least so far.

Only thing I noticed is the fan has not gone into HIGH mode but maybe because it doesn't need too? I opened both the freezor and fresh food doors until the motor started up and it took 15 to 20 minutes for the temp in the freezor to go back to -3 from a positive 4. I take that as good. 4 hours later the temp stabalized at -1 or at least it didn't move from that for more than an hour.

I am watching the temp in the fresh food section and it at this moment is 35.6 F. I am using a wireless outdoor thermometer from LL Bean that I put directly in the refridgerator and the reader is here on my desk so I can wirelessly keep tabs on the temp. Only have the one gadge though so I have to manually move it back and forth between the sections.

I am sure it is not 100% accurate but most gadges aren't, if this is close to what the readout says I am good with it. Currently the fresh food section temp is 35.2 and falling. Will watch it and figure the final setting will be sometime Monday so I will keep the gadge in the frozen food section until then and move it to the freezor section and see what that stabalizes at.

But like I said before I could not have these settings without freezor defrosting and now both sections are cold though I would like the fresh food a little colder but I guess as long as it is below 40F it is good.

I mean I am keeping the temp gadge in the Fresh Food Section until Monday morning or so and then will move it to the freezor.

Right now the temp in the fresh foods section is showing 34.5 and falling. The setting 5 out of 9 maybe too cold if it falls below 31 or 30 degrees. Wont know until the temp stabalizes in 20 to 30 hours from now.
tc38  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 8:35:55 AM(UTC)
tc38

I watched the temps all weekend and the freezor section set to 7 and the fresh food set to 5 the temps stayed within the following:

Freezor +6 to -10 when in defrost temp went up to 17 or 18 then the compressor kicked on and the fan turned on and it cooled down to between -3 and -8 then the compressor and fan turned off and kicked back on at between +3 and +5. The temps are in F not C.

It wasn't a static number that the compressor turned on and off for one time it was +2 the next +4 then turned off at -4 then over the weekend it was random between -4 and -8, depending I guess on when the last time I opened the doors and the temp of the Fresh Food section.

The FF section was pretty consistant between 34 and 38F. Though I assume the colder temps in the freezor are when it is also cooling this area. I tried different settings from the 7 and 5 but at 6 for the freezor it didn't maintain a good temperature in the FF section and from what I witnessed in the freezor section it doesn't maintain below zero longer than 20 minutes or so and I don't notice any real ice buildup on any of the food up there or the back panel. The defrost cycle happened 2 or 3 times and each time it shut off between 17 and 19 degrees and lasted probably 15 to 20 minutes.

Before when the defrost cycle did not shut off the temp must have gotten above 50 up in the freezor from the state of the defrosted food. But now with the new motherboard it shuts off before any defrosting or melting of the ice cubes. I touched the ice cubes in the tray and they were frozen dry to the touch.
tc38  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 8:49:45 AM(UTC)
tc38

One thing I have noticed now with the new mobo is that the refrigerator is quieter. Not sure if it is the new updated MOBO or that the old one was breaking down or what but the fan runs mostly at low speed and there is not a lot of noise coming from the fridge when it is running.

Yes the compressor turns on when it gets warm enough somewhere between +3 and +5. I was afraid for awhile that the fan would not ever go into high speed again but as a test for this I opened both the top and bottom doors and left them open for a good 5 minutes or so until something happened, the compressor and fan turned on at high speed so that was reassuring that it actually does work, that is when it is warm enough it needs the extra cooling power.

At low speed, which the fan is running now by default I guess when it is on, the fridge is pretty quiet. I thought for awhile a thermoster may need to be replaced and on this particular model it seems they are in the side of the case positioned towards the front towards the door as there is no clip I can see on the back panel and there is a plastic grill I assume covering the thermistor for the freezor and FF section placed like I said above.

I stopped monitoring the temps for the freezor and FF section as I witnessed the defrost cycle at least twice this weekend and each time it cut off when it reached between 17 and 19 degrees. Sort of freaked me out the first time though as I didn't know how warm it would get, I never monitored temps in the fridge before so never really knew what the temps were.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply