Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
reed2112  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 6:29:17 PM(UTC)
reed2112

Groups: Registered

This refrigerator started malfunctioning several months ago. It was making a groaning sound and a clicking sound. Started out very infrequently until it was doing it all the time and eventually everything got warm. I used my home warranty to get it fixed. Several different guys came out because every time they did they said it was working fine. Finally I got one guy to admit there was a problem. He replaced the start or over-fuse relay and everything was fine... until the other day when I heard the dreaded groan/click again. The unit is working fine now but I hear the noise at least once a day. This is how the whole thing started before, so I'm expecting things to get worse from here. Do I need to have the start relay fixed again or do I need a new compressor. The unit is not quite 5 years old so the compressor is still under warranty, but the problem seems to come and go. I'd rather not wait until all my food is ruined again to fix the problem. I'm on the verge of just throwing this unit out and getting a new one. Any help?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

okbobcats  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2008 3:45:17 AM(UTC)
okbobcats

Groups: Senior Expert

Seems to me you have a bad compressor. or your cond. coils could be real dirty. But maytag has had a lot of troubles with this compressor. after compressor been running and is warm. unplug fridge. wait 5 minutes plug back in. if compressor does not start right away you have a bad compressor.
reed2112  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2008 12:55:26 PM(UTC)
reed2112

Is it even worth getting the compressor replaced? After the relay was replaced it has run fine for several months. Why does it happen intermittently? Wouldn't the compressor just stop working? Will the manufacturer replace the compressor if it appears to be working properly at the time they arrive. That is the problem I've had. Everything in the freezer melts and then when the repair person gets here the compressor is running again.
okbobcats  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2008 2:37:35 PM(UTC)
okbobcats

when it happens leave the fridge on. so the compressor stays hot. if that doesn't work call maytag and tell them your problem. if its still under the 5 year warranty. they will replace the compressor.
reed2112  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2008 5:57:06 PM(UTC)
reed2112

I cleaned the cond. coils really well. I waited for the compressor to come on. After it had been running a few minutes I unpluged for 5 minutes. When I pluged it back in the fan came on and it made the groan/click sound. After two min. the compessor came on just fine. Based on what you told me earlier can I assume it is a bad compressor and it is just a matter of time before it goes out again?
richappy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:15:22 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You may have a hard starting compressor during low line voltage conditions.
If you have a meter, check the outlet volage, you will find it is lower during peak hours of the day.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply