Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JDI  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:31:02 AM(UTC)
JDI

Groups: Registered

I have a fridge with the freezer on top. The freezer was not freezing properly and noticed that the coils underneath was full of ice so I defrost my freezer. I replaced the defrost timer, I checked the continuity of the defrost thermostat and it seemed to be fine, the defrost heater was fine, the continuity of the temperature control was fine, the fan is working fine, the fridge is cooling. I cleaned the whole fridge inside and out. It's been plugged in for about a day and the freezer is now freezing. I checked the coils and there was a evenly distributed, thin layer of ice covering the coils. The thing is, the fridge is constantly running and is not turning off between cycles. It seems to be always running and not turning off at all. Shouldn't the fridge should stop inbetween cycles? What controls the on/off operation inbetween cycles? Is there something else I can check? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2011 3:48:43 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I cannot find any info on the given model number please check it.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]The thing is, the fridge is constantly running and is not turning off between cycles. It seems to be always running and not turning off at all. Shouldn't the fridge should stop inbetween cycles?[/COLOR]
I am not sure what you mean by cycles.
The unit should shut down every 8 hours or so for about half an hour when it does a defrost.
Other than defrost cycles the unit should run till it reaches the set temperature.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]What controls the on/off operation inbetween cycles?[/COLOR]
Depending on the unit it is controlled by a mechanical thermostat (temperature control) or a control board.
These sense the temperature and turn the compressor off once the temperature in the freezer reaches the set point, usually should be 0 to 5 degrees F.

Check the temperature in the freezer.
Perhaps you just have not given it enough time.
It can take quite awhile for the temperature to drop espacially if the freezer is empty.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
JDI  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:02:04 AM(UTC)
JDI

Groups: Registered

Thank you for your comments, I'll give it some time and see what happens.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply