Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
harryhoudini  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 9:46:30 AM(UTC)
harryhoudini

Groups: Registered

I've done a lot of research but I need some specific picture/descriptive help. I have a bottom freezer that is frosting up, either the heater, timer or thermostat for the defrost cycle is not working. I tried to use this site to figure out how to test the timer and thermostat but the sticky on testing these parts does not relate to refrigerators only other appliances.

In this thread (Constant freezing up - FixYa) the picture looks just like my freezer. From the parts diagrams here I take it that #1 is the heating coil, #2 is the thermostat and I'm not sure what #3 is.

Here, I've found parts AP3492964 for the timer (not pictured in the above thread) and AP3475238 as the thermostat.

I would love to test the parts I can with a digital tester but I don't know what specific points to test and what the readings should be.

Any help here?

A service manual and/or replacement instructions would be VERY appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Drags1998  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 12:40:55 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

Groups: Senior Expert

I will bet its the THERMOSTAT, I change 2 a month, ALMOST never change the timer or heater!!!!!:D
harryhoudini  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 1:59:24 PM(UTC)
harryhoudini

Awesome, great to know! Any info on the actual replacement procedure?
Drags1998  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:38:22 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

Groups: Senior Expert

I would order the thermostat, when it arrives, defrost the evaporator completely!!!! It is a PLUG-IN thermostat!!! When you remove the rear panel of the freezer, its in the upper-right corner of the Freezer.:)
harryhoudini  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:40:13 PM(UTC)
harryhoudini

Cool, I see where it is... didn't look like plug and play (looks like you wire nut it in from some of the parts places I've seen) but either way should be basic. I'll order and see what I can do!
harryhoudini  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:07:50 PM(UTC)
harryhoudini

Just a quick note, it was in fact the issue! The original thermostat was visually broken, looks like it "exploded" a bit. A replacement was ordered from this site, arrived earlier than scheduled, 10 minutes and a wire cutter later and it was wire nutted in place. 3 hours later I hear the freezer making the normal "expansion" noises during the defrost cycle, and the g/f and I look at amazement at the dripping ice that we have had to melt by hand with a heat gun for the last 3 weeks. Thanks again for the advice, one more home project complete!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply