Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

9 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andreyvol  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 6:55:49 PM(UTC)
Andreyvol

Groups: Registered

Here is the description of my problem. Please tell me if you can determine the root cause based on the below. Your help is very appreciated

Refrigerator stopped cooling completely. The light is on when the door is open and I can hear the fan in the freezer running. I performed the following steps and below are my observations:

Turned the temperature control all the way to the left to turn off
- Fan stopped

After a while, I turned the temperature control on
- Fan starts immediately
- After a few seconds (10-30 seconds) I hear a click from outside back of the refrigerator. I am assuming some sort of relay
- the compressor does not start, however
- I continue to hear fan working continuously, but compressor does not seem to run
- After a while compressor gets hot (I can still hold my hand on it without burning but it is pretty hot)

Turned the temperature control all the way to the left to turn off again
- Fan stopped immediately
- After a few minutes (1-3 minutes) I hear the same click as before.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jeff / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2011 12:56:01 PM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Lets use a multi-meter to test the compressor. First unplug the refrigerator and remove the start relay off of the side of the compressor. Go to the single pin on the compressor and check to one of the pins that are side by side on the compressor. The run winding will read 1-5 ohms resistance. Then stay on the single pin and go to the other pin. The start winding will read 3-11 ohms resistance. If your readings are out of these ranges, then you have a bad compressor. If they are within these ranges, then you have a bad relay overload. Here is a link to the parts diagram. Hope this helps.

Unit parts replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL ER8MHMXML02 REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com
Andreyvol  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2011 9:58:09 AM(UTC)
Andreyvol

Jeff, thank you very much for your advice. I followed your instructions and identified the starter as the source of the problem, ordered and replaced it. Refrigerator is back inservice. The whole repair cost me only $50 and under an hour of time!!
Jeff / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 4:04:26 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Your welcome! Glad we could help!!:)
smartblnde  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:19:42 PM(UTC)
smartblnde

Good evening!

We have now been working on our fading refrigerator since I got home from work at 2pm. We set up the test on the overload relay and the first result was 6.1-7 and the other was within the 3-11 acceptable range.

If only one of the results is out of the target range, is the compressor dead, or could it still be the relay?

Now, Hubby has re-plugged the relay into where it goes on the side of the compressor, and it shot sparks everywhere and glowed. :eek: Even though I am not an electrical kind of person, I know this is not a good thing.

What next? New fridge? (I am not opposed to this, but Hubby is).

Thanks for all the help you have posted for people. That's awesome.

smart
Jeff / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:10:21 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Hello. If the run winding was out of range, then the compressor is bad. Hope this helps.
boilerdude00  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2011 3:36:35 PM(UTC)
boilerdude00

I followed the diagnosis below and determined I had a bad overload relay because the compressor passed the resistance test. I ordered a new relay (part # 2188829) for my Kenmore refrigerator (model # 106.53232300) and it arrived today. I removed the run capacitor from the old assembly and installed it onto the new overload relay. Then I installed the new assembly on the refrigerator per the instructions. After plugging it in nothing happened with the compressor or the cooling fan but I know its getting power because the lights come on. At least with the old overload relay, the cooling fan would run and the compressor would try to start. Thanks for your help
Jeff / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:25:42 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Hello boilerdude00. What is the part number you ordered for the refrigerator? You will need to check and make sure the relay is wired correctly and the refrigerator is not in defrost cycle. If it is in defrost cycle, the fans and compressor will not run. Based on the model number you provided, AP3885081 is the correct starting device kit. Hope this helps. Part number: AP3885081
mazfla  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2012 1:03:31 PM(UTC)
mazfla

Helllo Jeff K.
I have this problem with my Kenmore ColdSpot (2000 model year). I read your information to my husband who identified that the overload relay was burnt out.
Thank you for your help!:D
(Now I just have to find that part).
-mazfla
Jeff / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 3:49:45 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Hello. Glad we could help!! If you will provide your model number, I can help you find the correct part! Thank you.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply