Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Blaser  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:58:07 AM(UTC)
Blaser

Groups: Registered

Thanks to your site, I just diagnosed a faulty relay/start. Not bad for a fridge built in '99. Got it installed, and the fridge worked again. I also vacuumed every piece of dust under/on the entire unit. It was pretty bad under there. It's been years since it was cleaned...

After 3 days, the veggies/milk were frozen. We tried adjusting the temp control knobs, but nothing changed. Freezer side temps were in the -20 range, and fridge side was around 0 with both on warmest setting. Brrr.

No icing anywhere, except the water line reservoir froze. Checked drain under the evaporator- all clean. No food in either side produced similiar temps. I believe the compressor was running continually. Took the control panel apart, and verified that the baffle door slid open/shut correctly.

Determined it had to be the thermostat. It has a long plastic covered metal probe that wraps around the upper vent from the freezer. I took it out, and tested it with my digital multimeter. It tests 0.L when off, and 0 when on. I got 15 ohms from the thermo circuit on the control board.

I froze it in our other freezer, and again it tested fine. It even made the 'click' sound as I cycled the dial while it was warming up.

The thermostat has a tiny adjusment screw behind/next to the control rod. Should I try to bring the temps down by adjusting this screw?

Is there something else that would cause my low temp issue?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 3:14:08 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL GD25DFXFB01 | AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the wiring diagram.

Is there something else that would cause my low temp issue?
Could be but I would replace the thermostat first.
It sounds like it's contacts are sticking closed.
Sometimes the current flowing through the contacts will hold them closed so a test with a meter is not definitive.
File Attachment(s):
GD25DF.pdf (162kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Blaser  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 9:45:43 AM(UTC)
Blaser

Thanks for the diagrams and parts link. I'll get a t-stat coming, and take the old one apart tonight- for kicks...
Blaser  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 12:46:54 PM(UTC)
Blaser

I ordered the new thermostat as was suggested here on the forum. I could have picked it up here in town for another $20, and was hesitant to order it; thinking it would be 4 or 5 days in shipping and I'd be without a working fridge.

I was wrong. I ordered it from you guys, and had it in barely 2 days. The fridge has worked perfect for 2 days now.

I'm very impressed, and will definitely be back with any appliance parts needs. You have super fast shipping, great prices, and excellent advice through this forum. Now thanks to you, my wife thinks I know everything about refrigerators...
Thanks again.
denman  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:46:57 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You are welcome

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply