Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FrancisM  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 20, 2011 1:27:54 PM(UTC)
FrancisM

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool GC5SHGXKS00 Refrigerator and the Ice is not dispensing but the water is working and the ice maker is working fine. When I try to dispense cube ice the solenoid turns on but the ice dispenser motor does not turn and when I try the crush ice there is no sound. I removed the Ice bucket and saw that the ice dispensing motor did not turn when I pressed the switch for ice.
How can I confirm that the ice dispensing motor is bad before I order a replacement and do you have instructions on how to replace it.

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jeff / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 11:05:46 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Gain access to the motor, then with a multi-meter, test for voltage by pressing the dispenser button, and holding the door switch closed. If voltage is present, then you have a bad motor. Part number: AP2991305
FrancisM  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 5, 2011 8:16:01 PM(UTC)
FrancisM

Jeff,
I thought the motor was bad so I ordered one and installed it but the ice is still not dispensing. The solenoid is activating and I can hear a whirring sound but the motor is not turning. I tried the Crushed ice and when I do the solenoid does not activate and there is no sound.
Any help would be appreciated on this.

Thanks,
Jeff / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2011 4:12:48 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Originally Posted by: FrancisM Go to Quoted Post
Jeff,
I thought the motor was bad so I ordered one and installed it but the ice is still not dispensing. The solenoid is activating and I can hear a whirring sound but the motor is not turning. I tried the Crushed ice and when I do the solenoid does not activate and there is no sound.
Any help would be appreciated on this.

Thanks,

Hello FrancisM,

If you can, I need you to test the motor wires to see if you are getting voltage to them when the lever is pressed. Let me know what you find here.
FrancisM  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:04:41 PM(UTC)
FrancisM

Jeff,
I finally got around to testing the voltage and when the ice dispenser is depressed I do not get any voltage (maybe 1 volt).
Jeff / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:08:28 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Did you test it with the door switch closed? If so, you will need to take the dispenser assembly apart and test your micro switch. Here is a link to the parts diagram page to help you with this, as well as the part number for the switch. Dispenser front parts replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL GC5SHGXKS00 REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com

Part number: AP3131893
FrancisM  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:05:40 PM(UTC)
FrancisM

Jeff,
I hate to be a pest but when I took the front plate off the dispenser assembly. I see two micro switches, I assume it is the one on the left side that I need to test. Could you tell me the leads that I need to test and also am I supposed to see a voltage or am I looking for a Ohm reading?

Thanks
Jeff / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 5:26:12 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Not a problem. You will need to test the switch, not the wires. It should have two terminals on it. One is marked NO and the other is marked COM. Test these for continuity, when the switch button is pressed, and it should read closed. Hope this helps.
FrancisM  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 11:50:31 AM(UTC)
FrancisM

Jeff,
I tested the switch and it was a closed (0 Ohm) reading when I depress the switch, just to make sure I tested the water switch and it gave me the same reading. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Jeff / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 12:17:02 PM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

If you can, check and see if your getting power to the switch. Let me know what you find there.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply