Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sacoettin  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:14:30 AM(UTC)
sacoettin

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I have a 10-year-old GE GSS22 UFMD WW side by side refrigerator. It stopped cooling the fridge part. And shortly after (one day later) the products in the freezer started to thaw (especially the ones near the top).

I made some search, but could not find specific information regarding this model, maybe it is because it is too old. I moved the fridge, cleaned the dust (there was extreme dust near the engine area at the bottom). After that I checked the cover over the foils inside the freezer compartment. There was a thin layer of snow on the cover so I removed it and there was significant snow on the coils. I unplugged the refrigerator and defrost it over night, plugged it back this morning. I kept it running for one hour. By the time I left the house, the freezer seemed to be cooling down, but I did not feel any improvement in the fridge at all. It was still around 65-70 degrees.

Can someone help me to diagnose the problem? I learned that I need to check three things; thermostat, heater, and control, but I do not know where these are located and how to check them. I appreciate your input.

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jeff / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:51:38 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

You need to check the heater and thermostat for this unit first. They are located behind the freezer wall. This is where you found all the ice. The thermostat will be on the top of the coils. The heater will be at the bottom of the coils. Check for continuity with a multi-meter. Both of these should read closed if they are cold. I'm putting part numbers and pictures of them so you will know what to look for. Also here is a link to the parts diagram. Hope this helps.
Freezer section replacement parts for General Electric GSS22UFMDWW Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Part number: AP4355467
sacoettin  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:01:37 PM(UTC)
sacoettin

Groups: Registered

thanks for your response and the diagrams. I will buy a multi-meter after dinner. I do not know what "closed" means but I think it should be easy to figure out once I purchase the multi-meter.

The refrigerator seems to feel cooler (especially the freezer) but I still think the frig section still not there yet. And the lower portion of both freezer and frig is cooler than the upper parts. So, definitely something is wrong.

I will let you know what I find out with the multi-meter. Thanks.
Jeff / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 18, 2011 4:44:34 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

When you get your meter, it should have a continuity setting. Closed will read continuity, and open will not. Hope this helps.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply