Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jbili  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:14:33 PM(UTC)
jbili

Groups: Registered

I have a KitchenAid ktla22elss01 refrigerator.
It has a water dispenser inside the refrigerator and an automatic ice maker that dumps ice in the freezer. The ice maker works fine.
The problem is when I press the button inside the frig to get a cold glass of water not only do I get a cold glass of water but water also flows into my ice maker as long as I hold the button. For some reason both of my solenoids (ice maker and water dispenser) are being energized when I press my water dispenser button. I looked at the wires and nothing seems shorted out, or out of place . I even took the hoses off of my valve inlt and watched water shoot out of both valves when the button was pressed.
Is there some sort of isolation valve I need to replace? I noticed one metioned in the schematics.
Any help would be appreciated. We are tired of getting huge blocks of ice in our ice bin.

I have been doing some research and it seems a few people think it's
probably a shorted DIODE in the wiring harness
Wire assembly control box
Part Number:
AP3174288 made by WHIRLPOOL . I tried replacing this harness and I still have the problem

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jeff / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:45:26 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Lets try this. Take the wire connector off of the icemaker valve, and insert your leads to your multi-meter there. Activate the water dispenser and see if you have voltage coming down to the icemaker side. If not then you will need to replace the dual valve.
Part number: AP3890667
jbili  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:19:07 PM(UTC)
jbili

Thanks Jeff. I got home late from work today so I'll try it Tomm. and let you know the results
jbili  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 18, 2011 4:01:58 PM(UTC)
jbili

Okay Jeff I tried what you said and got some pretty wierd readings.
3.4 v ac across the water dispenser and I even tried the leads themselves
and got 7.7 v ac across the wire. The voltage across the icemaker valve spades was 0 before my wife pressed the button for the water dispenser.
Is this why I'm getting a small flow of water to the ice maker when we press the water dispenser button inside the fridg.

Thanks for all your help
Joe B
Jeff / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 5:01:26 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

I don't think your problem is with the voltage bleed over. 7.7 volts ac is to low to energize a 120 volt ac valve. It seams like the valve for the icemaker is not closing fully causing water to leak through when the water dispenser is pressed. I would order the valve listed above to fix this problem. Hope this helps.
jbili  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:49:19 PM(UTC)
jbili

Sorry Jeff for some reason my thank you post from the other day didn't go through . I ordered the part on Monday and recieved it the very next day installed it yesterday and it worked like a charm. Once again thanks for helping me I've tried posting on this forum in the past to get an answer to this problem and you were the only one who was able to help me.
I let the saleswomen know that you provided excellent service

Joe B
Jeff / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:48:35 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Your Welcome Joe! Glad I could help!:) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply