Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tgkelley  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2011 5:19:13 PM(UTC)
tgkelley

Groups: Registered

My icemaker has a dripping leak after the water stops dispensing. I saw online posts and got online advice saying it was probably the water inlet valve. I replaced it, and it still leaks at the water grommet to icemaker entry. Saw a comment about water pressure, and that the water filter may need to be replaced. Mine was marked to be replaced in October (it's now January), so it's due, but it is at most 9 months. Not sure what else is left - the other water inlet valve that feeds the tank and filter? The icemaker itself is now bad? The water grommet dispensing into the icemaker is somehow damaged and needs replacement? Have taken the icemaker out twice and inspected it, don't see any obvious holes or damage.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 1:51:13 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tgkelley Go to Quoted Post
My icemaker has a dripping leak after the water stops dispensing. I saw online posts and got online advice saying it was probably the water inlet valve. I replaced it, and it still leaks at the water grommet to icemaker entry. Saw a comment about water pressure, and that the water filter may need to be replaced. Mine was marked to be replaced in October (it's now January), so it's due, but it is at most 9 months. Not sure what else is left - the other water inlet valve that feeds the tank and filter? The icemaker itself is now bad? The water grommet dispensing into the icemaker is somehow damaged and needs replacement? Have taken the icemaker out twice and inspected it, don't see any obvious holes or damage.

Kelley,

Where is the drip, at the ice maker itself or the grommet/fill tube ?

Part number: AP4069561
Part number: AP4069561

Try this,

Remove the filter and install the bypass plug, and check it for the drip for a couple of days.

If the drip stops, you have a water supply/pressure problem or a partially clogged filter.( with a filter installed, you need to maintain a constant pressure of 25 psi, at the fill valve connection for proper operation).

If the drip persists, you'll need to check and reseat/re seal all the water tubing and connectors to the ice maker, and fill valve.

You'd be getting air into the tubes and the pressure won't equalize in the water system, causing the drip.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
tgkelley  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:22:46 PM(UTC)
tgkelley

thanks for the reply. The drip is hard to tell if it is the grommet/fill tube itself, or the actual ice maker. I can't see the actual drip origin, just where it drops, which would suggest its the where the grommet could leak.

Your solution on the bypass plug. I get what you are suggesting to do, but I don't remember having a bypass plug. Assume this is something that fits into the water filter hole where the filter itself screws in. Was this something that should have come with the unit.

Final question on solving if a pressure problem. How do you reseat/reseal the water lines. I get reseat, as I just completed that with the inlet valve installation (may have done it poorly). But, I don't get reseal - is there something additional other than inserting the lines (after trimming them from prior install)? How critical is it that the line "cut" is perfectly smooth and perpendicular (no angle to the cut)?
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 7:11:51 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

thanks for the reply. The drip is hard to tell if it is the grommet/fill tube itself, or the actual ice maker. I can't see the actual drip origin, just where it drops, which would suggest its the where the grommet could leak.

Your solution on the bypass plug. I get what you are suggesting to do, but I don't remember having a bypass plug. Assume this is something that fits into the water filter hole where the filter itself screws in. Was this something that should have come with the unit.

Final question on solving if a pressure problem. How do you reseat/reseal the water lines. I get reseat, as I just completed that with the inlet valve installation (may have done it poorly). But, I don't get reseal - is there something additional other than inserting the lines (after trimming them from prior install)? How critical is it that the line "cut" is perfectly smooth and perpendicular (no angle to the cut)?

Kelley,

Yes, the filter bypass plug should have come with the refrigerator, I used to put them in the crisper drawer or give it to the consumer.

here's the part number(in case)

Part number: AP4071056
Part number: AP4071056

As for reseating/sealing the tubing,

Make sure all the ends of the tubes, are a straight 90 dgr cut, and there are no burrs on the inside/outside of the tube, make sure you insert the tube as deep as possible into the connector then tighten the ferrel nut as hand tight,as possible and add 1/2 turn with a small wrench. With "John Guess" fittings(compression type)insert the tube as far as possible and allow the ring to seat(snap into position) then put a "light" tug, out on the tube,and make sure the internal locking ring is holding the tube tight.

Don't know your exact installation, but if you used a "self piercing saddle valve" on a cold water supply line, you should also check that assembly for a clog or a bent pin in the piercing device.

That's as far as we can get you, at this point.

tgkelley  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:11:34 PM(UTC)
tgkelley

understand. Good stuff and thanks. And, yes, I have a piercing saddle valve so will check that as well.
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 5:22:51 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

understand. Good stuff and thanks. And, yes, I have a piercing saddle valve so will check that as well.

Kelley,

Glad we could help,

You'll be up and running in no time.

Good Luck,
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply