Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gsummey  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:38:18 PM(UTC)
gsummey

Groups: Registered

Good day,

I'm looking for a way to allow my 1000w inverter generator to provide backup power to our recently purchased GE upright freezer (Model FUF14DTCRW4). Unfortunately the genny does not have enough umph to get the compressor going.

I have two questions. First, while testing this setup for the first time I let the compressor try to kick on several times (probably 30 seconds worth) while connected to the genny, of course this didn't work only heard a clicking sound, but after a some seconds I started to smell something burning, so I immediately disconnected the freezer from the generator and put it back on house power. It is working fine,but I wonder what did I burn and should I be worried about it?

The second question is, I would like to try to connect up one of the hard start kits, but this being a new freezer, I'm sure it has the run capacitor, or whatever that part is that will cause the compressor to burn up in short order. Is there a hard start kit or equivalent for newer freezers? If not, any ideas how I can lower the startup power requirements?

This genny has enough power to startup my fridge with no problem.

Thanks for any help,

Garth
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.