Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Robak  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:05:14 AM(UTC)
Robak

Groups: Registered

I have a 10 year old Whirpool Conquest side-by-side fridge. Model number GS6SHAXKB01. Yesterday the fridge side was not that cold. Freezer was fine. I unplugged it for a moment, then plugged it back in. I did feel coolish air coming through the wall vent from the freezer section. Temp was around 55-60 degrees. I removed the starter relay from the compressor. I shook it since I heard if you hear a rattle then it is bad. I hear no sound and it looks undamaged. I took the back off the inside of the freezer to get access to the coils. They just had a very thin coat of frost on them. I left it unplugged overnight because the compressor felt very hot.

The repair man came today and hooked a "super duper" relay that plugs directly into an outlet. He then connected it to the compressor and said it wasn't kicking on. He said if his realy wouldn't start it, then the compressor was bad and I need a new fridgerator.

Does anyone not agree with this diagnosis?

Thanks,
Roger
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 11:46:41 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

We often use a "3-N-One" start relay/overload device (also called a "hard Start kit") as a diagnostic tool to test compressors. If your repairman was honest with his report of the compressor's not starting, it probably is truly bad.

There are companies who will replace compressors; but the general concensus among modern refrigerator technicians is that you can spend more money on a repair, than on a replacement of the refrigerator.

If you trust your repairman, go along with his recommendation.
Robak  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:58:01 PM(UTC)
Robak

Originally Posted by: magician59 Go to Quoted Post
We often use a "3-N-One" start relay/overload device (also called a "hard Start kit") as a diagnostic tool to test compressors. If your repairman was honest with his report of the compressor's not starting, it probably is truly bad.

There are companies who will replace compressors; but the general concensus among modern refrigerator technicians is that you can spend more money on a repair, than on a replacement of the refrigerator.

If you trust your repairman, go along with his recommendation.

Well, for one thing, he did even charge me for a service call, so that seems kinda honest. However, he really didn't check anything besides the compressor and relay (I told him I found the coils to not be iced) and, he was a young technician.
Their company does not do compressor work for some reason, but said I could expect to pay $400-600 for that kind of work. I looked up the part and it runs $250 if I ordered it myself
magician59  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:32:30 PM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

The compressor is part of a "sealed system". These sealed systems are really not intended for the kind of service that opens, or breaks the seal.

Replacing the compressor involves opening the system; collecting the refrigerant (The EPA mandates only licensed technicians do this according to strict federal guidelines); replacing the appropriate components; vacuum-testing the system to make sure there are no leaks, and to remove any air and moisture from the system; and recharging the system with new refrigerant.

It can take some technicians more than half a day to get this right, and the procedure is fraught with possible call-back producing factors. This is the biggest reason most of us don't perform this service any more. Another reason is the high cost of equipment necessary for compliance to the law.

$600.00 is a very reasonable cost for this kind of service.
Robak  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 5:47:14 PM(UTC)
Robak

Originally Posted by: magician59 Go to Quoted Post
The compressor is part of a "sealed system". These sealed systems are really not intended for the kind of service that opens, or breaks the seal.

Replacing the compressor involves opening the system; collecting the refrigerant (The EPA mandates only licensed technicians do this according to strict federal guidelines); replacing the appropriate components; vacuum-testing the system to make sure there are no leaks, and to remove any air and moisture from the system; and recharging the system with new refrigerant.

It can take some technicians more than half a day to get this right, and the procedure is fraught with possible call-back producing factors. This is the biggest reason most of us don't perform this service any more. Another reason is the high cost of equipment necessary for compliance to the law.

$600.00 is a very reasonable cost for this kind of service.

I know what you mean. I had an air conditioning company work on my central a/c system. This part was bad and they had to yank everything out, cut all the lines and braze the new part back in. Two days later, it wasn't working again because of a pinhole leak while brazing the pipes had allowed the refrigerant to escape. They had to come back again and do the whole job over.

Anyway, the refrigerator might be working. It had been unplugged all night and I plugged it back in 5 hours ago. The temp is down to 44 degrees. I'll report back in the morning on the temp then. I am just concerned how hot the compressor was. I don't really have a way of measuring it, other than seeing if it would melt a piece of solder.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply