Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dieselgg  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:09:48 PM(UTC)
dieselgg

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I have approximately a 3 year old Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator, model # GB2SHKXMQ, freezer is on the bottom. This model # is Cdn so may not be recognized in this forum.

Basically, the top shelf is getting very cold. It is close to freezing the lettuce produce. The rotary temp dial at the top of the fridge is set to 2.5.

I am thinking it might be the thermostat. I have not set the dial to a higher temp yet. I may set it to 3 and see what happens.

I hope that that there is not a leak in the refrigerant system.

If anyone knows what typically causes this problem with this model or any other tips, I would very much appreciate it. By the way, it would help to also identify the location of the thermostat.

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 3:59:38 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is your parts breakdown
Model Search

And here is a tech sheet, could not find one specific to your Model but this one looks close
https://www.servicematters.com/d...Sheet%20-%2012728218.pdf

I would look closely at the damper assembly this is what regulates the amount of cold air entering the fridge section from the freezer. See "Refrigerator liner parts" section.

If you want to measure actual temperatures you will have to use a thermometer.Freezer approx. 0 to 5 F, fridge approx 40F.

Low freon would give low cooling so this is not the problem.
Could be the freezer thermostat, if ice cream is not hard as a rock it is probably OK.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
dieselgg  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 5:08:33 AM(UTC)
dieselgg

Thanks Denman,

I will take some temp readings and also lower the dial to about 2 (less cold setting) and then wait 24 hrs to see if there is any change.

Gus
dieselgg  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2008 1:50:47 PM(UTC)
dieselgg

An update,

Ok, it's been about 24 hrs after adjusting the rotary dial to about 1.5 (less cold than before). Using a cheap thermometer, I noticed that the temp is at about 7C(44.6F) on the right side of the top shelf. I noticed about 4C(39F) on the left side of the top shelf. Maybe it was 4C because it was a lot closer the vent. Not sure if this is normal but there is some frost built up below the plastic housing, which has the vents.

Another note, the fruit located in the drawer on the bottom shelf is very cold.

I hope these observation help. I can turn it back to 2.5 on the dial setting (more cold) and take more temp. readings.

Regards,
Gus
dieselgg  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:18:04 PM(UTC)
dieselgg

How do I gain access to the damper assy in the refrigerator. I am considering replacing it but would rather inspect it first before purchasing the part. I recall reading somewhere how to gain access to it. I believe I have to remove the plastic shroud on the rear wall of the refrigerator. The damper p/n in question is AP4077555.

Any help would be appreciated.
denman  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 3:51:43 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Usually one or more screws hold it and then the cover slides toward the back or front to release the clips that hold it in place.

Sometimes there are not any screws at all.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply