Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JPMM  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:48:07 AM(UTC)
JPMM

Groups: Registered

Hi .... I was doing a major clean-up of our whirlpool side/side refrigerator, and happened to notice that the LOWER portions of the reservoir tank (behind the crisper on lower right side) looked a bit gray. I suspect that this may be due to some charcoal debry that has worked it's way from the main refrigerator-water-filter in the basement through the years. Although, there does not seem to be any bad taste, smell or coloring in either the drinking water or the ice cubes, I am wandering if the tank should be removed and flushed. Opinion please? If I were to remove and flush it, do you have any tips on the best way to proceed in removing and then replacing the unit?

Thanks for any help you may provide. /JPMM
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:38:23 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JPMM Go to Quoted Post
...Although, there does not seem to be any bad taste, smell or coloring in either the drinking water or the ice cubes, I am wandering if the tank should be removed and flushed...

I do not think you have to do it. If you really concern about this issue then just drain out a few gallons of water through the water dispenser.

It is important to replace the refrigerator water filter (if there is one) once a year. They do not last more than a year.

If you do not have the water filter build in the refrigerator than it is a good idea to install in-line filter into the water supply line on the back of the refrigerator.

Gene.
P.S. It can be just the plastic discoloration due to its age.
JPMM  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:53:49 PM(UTC)
JPMM

Hi Gene .... Thanks for your response. I'll try draining it as you have suggested. However, I am skeptical that the flow will be fast enough to remove any charcoal sediment ( or whatever sediment it is) that may be there.

Reference your "P.S." ...... the darker area is ONLY at the bottom area of the first three loops in the tank ..... the 4th loop (the last one before the tube heads for the freezer door area) is clear. If it is discoloration (versus sediment) due to age, I am thinking the discoloration would be throughout most of the tank material ..... and not just in the bottom area of the first three loops.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:09:06 PM(UTC)
Gene

If your concern goes that far, you may want to replace the water tank. Just the flushing would not do any good because of the relatively small tube sizes.

Gene.
JPMM  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:59:03 PM(UTC)
JPMM

Hmmmm .... now I am wondering if we are talking about the same tank type. The tank I have is relatively large. Yes, there is an entry tube and an exit tube, which are fairly small, but the tank itself is a relatively large "S" type tube which I would "guesstimate" holds at least a quart (maybe two?) of water. My thought was that if I were to remove the tank, I could tip it on end, allowing the sediment to flow toward and out the exit tube. This is why I was originally asking for any tips you might have in relation to removing and then replacing the tank.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:00:22 PM(UTC)
Gene

Yes, we are talking about the same tank. You can try to do it the way you described. There is nothing to loose for you.

The easiest way to remove the tank is to cut the tubes a few inches of the tank. In order to reconnect the tubes you can use the two water connector units.

- The water connector unit Part number: AP3670039
Part number: AP3670039

Gene.
JLR999  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2013 6:19:12 AM(UTC)
JLR999

I have sprung a leak in mine. What do you need to do to disconnect it for real without cutting the lines? Or will I get into more hassles I try? Thanks.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply