Discuss

Fridge water dispenser water trickles out hear tapping sound (but makes ice)

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

Our Maytag MSD2651HEB refrigerator is almost 5 years old and other than occassionally making slushies out of some drinks on

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » Fridge water dispenser water trickles out hear tapping sound (but makes ice)

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 12:16 PM

Davidsgirl is on a distinguished road
Question Fridge water dispenser water trickles out hear tapping sound (but makes ice)
Model Number: MSD2651HEB   Brand: Maytag   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Our Maytag MSD2651HEB refrigerator is almost 5 years old and other than occassionally making slushies out of some drinks on the top shelf of the fridge, has no issues at all. Recently, when I press the water dispenser, water comes out normally for a fraction of a second then I hear a tapping/knocking sound from the back about 10 times (3-4 seconds) which start at a certain level and get quieter as water slows to a trickle. I can hear the humming of the water dispenser still trying to work and the water is still trickling out until I remove the glass and then it stops. The freezer is making ice normally.

We have just changed the filter and also made sure the water pressure going to the fridge was ok.

Any information or assistance wouldbe greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Related Models
Maytag MSD2651HEB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2651HEQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2651HES REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2651HEW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2651KES REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2651KEU REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2651KGB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2651KGW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2652KEB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2652KES REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2652KEU REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2652KEW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2652KGB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2652KGW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2654FRQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2654FRW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2654GRQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2654GRW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2655HEB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2655HEQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2655HES REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2655HEW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2656DEB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2656DEQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2656DEW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2656GEB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2656GEQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2656GEW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2656KES REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2656KEU REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2656KGB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2656KGW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2657HEB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2657HEQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2657HES REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2657HEW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2658KES00 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2658KES01 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2658KES02 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2658KEU00 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2658KEU01 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2658KEU02 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2658KGB00 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2658KGB01 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2658KGB02 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2658KGW00 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2658KGW01 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2658KGW02 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2659KEB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2659KEQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2659KES REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2659KEW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD265MHEB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD265MHEQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD265MHES REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD265MHEW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD265RHEB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD265RHEQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD265RHES REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD265RHEW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2660KES REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2660KGB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2660KGW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2669KEA00 Refrigerator
Maytag MSD2669KEA01 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2669KEB00 Refrigerator
Maytag MSD2669KEB01 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2669KEW00 Refrigerator
Maytag MSD2669KEW01 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2669KEY00 Refrigerator
Maytag MSD2669KEY01 REFRIGERATOR
Maytag MSD2722GRQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2722GRW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2732GRQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2732GRS REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2732GRW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2734GEQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2734GEW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2735GRB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2735GRQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2735GRS REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2735GRW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2736GRQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2736GRW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2737GRB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2737GRQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2737GRS REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2737GRW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2748DRA REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2748DRB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2748DRQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2748DRW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2754ARA REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2754ARW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2754DRA REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2754DRW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2754FRA REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2754FRQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2754FRW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2754GRQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2754GRW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2756AEA REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2756AEB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2756AEW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2756DEB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2756DEQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2756DEW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2756GEB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2756GEQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2756GES REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2756GEW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2757AEA REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2757AEB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2757AEW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2757DEB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2757DEQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2757DEW REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2758DRB REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2758DRQ REF - SXS/I&W
Maytag MSD2758DRW REF - SXS/I&W
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 01-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Senior Expert

Joe / APP Team is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsgirl View Post
Our Maytag MSD2651HEB refrigerator is almost 5 years old and other than occassionally making slushies out of some drinks on the top shelf of the fridge, has no issues at all. Recently, when I press the water dispenser, water comes out normally for a fraction of a second then I hear a tapping/knocking sound from the back about 10 times (3-4 seconds) which start at a certain level and get quieter as water slows to a trickle. I can hear the humming of the water dispenser still trying to work and the water is still trickling out until I remove the glass and then it stops. The freezer is making ice normally.

We have just changed the filter and also made sure the water pressure going to the fridge was ok.

Any information or assistance wouldbe greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Davidsgirl,

You need to check and see if the water tank(reservoir) behind the crisper drawers is frozen/freezing.

Sounds like you're running the temperatures a bit low,reset the controls to mid range settings,

Also check and make sure you're not re-directing or trapping the air by articles hanging over the edges of the shelves, or large articles, in the top left hand corner of the top shelf.

While you have the crisper drawers out, you'll find a rectangular box on the back of the left side wall, check the clear plastic flapper for movement, it should be there and the flapper should move and not stick.

Good Luck,

Joe M. APP TEAM

Find Appliance Parts at AppliancePartsPros.com - Largest inventory in the U.S. with 91% of all in-stock orders delivered within 2 business days. Thousands of photos and diagrams make it very easy to find the right part. Enter your appliance model here.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:28 PM

DisneyGuy is on a distinguished road

I have a similiar issue with my Maytag MFD2561HEB. I have replaced filter, water valve and anti freeze kit for water tank. When I put on the bypass cap everything works fine. I used the whirlpool filter 4396395 that says it's for my model number could that be the problem? Also after the repair guy replaced the water valve the filter started making a noise like it was filling with air or something for a second or two before shutting off.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:32 AM
Senior Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGuy View Post
I have a similiar issue with my Maytag MFD2561HEB. I have replaced filter, water valve and anti freeze kit for water tank. When I put on the bypass cap everything works fine. I used the whirlpool filter 4396395 that says it's for my model number could that be the problem? Also after the repair guy replaced the water valve the filter started making a noise like it was filling with air or something for a second or two before shutting off.
Disney,

I have two different part numbers for the filter, AP3177254 WP and AP4343647 MTG. I don't see where they substitute to each other, I could be wrong.

The part number for the freeze up kit, should have been AP4009657 / 12002776

Now, the important stuff,

Are you sure you have a good water supply to the fill valve ?
( I reccomend a minimum pressure of 25psi when there's a filter and a water tank involved ).

Proper operation with the bypass installed, tells me , we've got a problem with the water pressure to the unit or a pressure problem in the water system( could be the filter ? ) or a loose connection.

When the technician replaced the filter, did he dispense at least 2 quarts of water through the system, to flush the filter sediment and bleed the air out ?( you need to remember that, when you replace the filter ).

You may want to start over again, using the proper filter, bleed the 2 quarts of water through the dispenser, if necessary, check the water pressure to the fill valve with a plumbers water pressure guage.

Joe M. APP TEAM

Find Appliance Parts at AppliancePartsPros.com - Largest inventory in the U.S. with 91% of all in-stock orders delivered within 2 business days. Thousands of photos and diagrams make it very easy to find the right part. Enter your appliance model here.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:01 AM

DisneyGuy is on a distinguished road

Update to this ticket. I ordered a new water filter head and it has fixed my issue. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Senior Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGuy View Post
Update to this ticket. I ordered a new water filter head and it has fixed my issue. Thanks for your help.

Disneyguy,

Thanks for the update.

We're glad you're up and running properly.

Your update post will be a help to others with a similar problem, and will be a good research reference tool.

Thanks Again,

Joe M. APP TEAM

Old 11-26-2013, 05:35 PM

watermann72 is on a distinguished road
Default No Water!

Maytag MSD2641KEW refrigerator is almost 5 years old. Recently, when I press the water dispenser, water comes out normally for a fraction of a second then I hear a tapping/knocking sound from the back about 10 times (3-4 seconds) which start at a certain level and get quieter as water slows to a trickle. I can hear the humming of the water dispenser still trying to work and the water is still trickling out until I remove the glass and then it stops. The freezer is making ice normally. I read one of the suggestions to check the back behind the crisper for frozen lines but they are not frozen. If I tap the button a few times sometimes it will work.

Do I need to change the filter? Would that solve the problem
Old 11-27-2013, 06:53 AM
Senior Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermann72 View Post
Maytag MSD2641KEW refrigerator is almost 5 years old. Recently, when I press the water dispenser, water comes out normally for a fraction of a second then I hear a tapping/knocking sound from the back about 10 times (3-4 seconds) which start at a certain level and get quieter as water slows to a trickle. I can hear the humming of the water dispenser still trying to work and the water is still trickling out until I remove the glass and then it stops. The freezer is making ice normally. I read one of the suggestions to check the back behind the crisper for frozen lines but they are not frozen. If I tap the button a few times sometimes it will work.

Do I need to change the filter? Would that solve the problem
Watermann, Yes, you probably do need to replace the water system filter

Part number: AP4343647

Part number: AP4343647

It needs to be replaced at least once a year, per the manufacturer. But that won't likely solve the issue. Your post would indicate an issue with the dispenser portion of the water inlet valve

Part number: AP4080862

Part number: AP4080862

The humming and knocking noise indicates the plunger inside the valve isn't being energized and remaining open, to allow water to enter the system properly.

Joe M. APP TEAM

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.