Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Davidsgirl  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:16:06 AM(UTC)
Davidsgirl

Groups: Registered

Our Maytag MSD2651HEB refrigerator is almost 5 years old and other than occassionally making slushies out of some drinks on the top shelf of the fridge, has no issues at all. Recently, when I press the water dispenser, water comes out normally for a fraction of a second then I hear a tapping/knocking sound from the back about 10 times (3-4 seconds) which start at a certain level and get quieter as water slows to a trickle. I can hear the humming of the water dispenser still trying to work and the water is still trickling out until I remove the glass and then it stops. The freezer is making ice normally.

We have just changed the filter and also made sure the water pressure going to the fridge was ok.

Any information or assistance wouldbe greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 11:21:40 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Davidsgirl Go to Quoted Post
Our Maytag MSD2651HEB refrigerator is almost 5 years old and other than occassionally making slushies out of some drinks on the top shelf of the fridge, has no issues at all. Recently, when I press the water dispenser, water comes out normally for a fraction of a second then I hear a tapping/knocking sound from the back about 10 times (3-4 seconds) which start at a certain level and get quieter as water slows to a trickle. I can hear the humming of the water dispenser still trying to work and the water is still trickling out until I remove the glass and then it stops. The freezer is making ice normally.

We have just changed the filter and also made sure the water pressure going to the fridge was ok.

Any information or assistance wouldbe greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Davidsgirl,

You need to check and see if the water tank(reservoir) behind the crisper drawers is frozen/freezing.

Sounds like you're running the temperatures a bit low,reset the controls to mid range settings,

Also check and make sure you're not re-directing or trapping the air by articles hanging over the edges of the shelves, or large articles, in the top left hand corner of the top shelf.

While you have the crisper drawers out, you'll find a rectangular box on the back of the left side wall, check the clear plastic flapper for movement, it should be there and the flapper should move and not stick.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
DisneyGuy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:28:01 PM(UTC)
DisneyGuy

I have a similiar issue with my Maytag MFD2561HEB. I have replaced filter, water valve and anti freeze kit for water tank. When I put on the bypass cap everything works fine. I used the whirlpool filter 4396395 that says it's for my model number could that be the problem? Also after the repair guy replaced the water valve the filter started making a noise like it was filling with air or something for a second or two before shutting off.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:32:06 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: DisneyGuy Go to Quoted Post
I have a similiar issue with my Maytag MFD2561HEB. I have replaced filter, water valve and anti freeze kit for water tank. When I put on the bypass cap everything works fine. I used the whirlpool filter 4396395 that says it's for my model number could that be the problem? Also after the repair guy replaced the water valve the filter started making a noise like it was filling with air or something for a second or two before shutting off.

Disney,

I have two different part numbers for the filter, AP3177254 WP and AP4343647 MTG. I don't see where they substitute to each other, I could be wrong.

The part number for the freeze up kit, should have been AP4009657 / 12002776

Now, the important stuff,

Are you sure you have a good water supply to the fill valve ?
( I reccomend a minimum pressure of 25psi when there's a filter and a water tank involved ).

Proper operation with the bypass installed, tells me , we've got a problem with the water pressure to the unit or a pressure problem in the water system( could be the filter ? ) or a loose connection.

When the technician replaced the filter, did he dispense at least 2 quarts of water through the system, to flush the filter sediment and bleed the air out ?( you need to remember that, when you replace the filter ).

You may want to start over again, using the proper filter, bleed the 2 quarts of water through the dispenser, if necessary, check the water pressure to the fill valve with a plumbers water pressure guage.

DisneyGuy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2011 9:01:12 AM(UTC)
DisneyGuy

Update to this ticket. I ordered a new water filter head and it has fixed my issue. Thanks for your help.
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 5:22:42 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: DisneyGuy Go to Quoted Post
Update to this ticket. I ordered a new water filter head and it has fixed my issue. Thanks for your help.

Disneyguy,

Thanks for the update.

We're glad you're up and running properly.

Your update post will be a help to others with a similar problem, and will be a good research reference tool.

Thanks Again,
watermann72  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:35:31 PM(UTC)
watermann72

Maytag MSD2641KEW refrigerator is almost 5 years old. Recently, when I press the water dispenser, water comes out normally for a fraction of a second then I hear a tapping/knocking sound from the back about 10 times (3-4 seconds) which start at a certain level and get quieter as water slows to a trickle. I can hear the humming of the water dispenser still trying to work and the water is still trickling out until I remove the glass and then it stops. The freezer is making ice normally. I read one of the suggestions to check the back behind the crisper for frozen lines but they are not frozen. If I tap the button a few times sometimes it will work.

Do I need to change the filter? Would that solve the problem
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:53:30 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: watermann72 Go to Quoted Post
Maytag MSD2641KEW refrigerator is almost 5 years old. Recently, when I press the water dispenser, water comes out normally for a fraction of a second then I hear a tapping/knocking sound from the back about 10 times (3-4 seconds) which start at a certain level and get quieter as water slows to a trickle. I can hear the humming of the water dispenser still trying to work and the water is still trickling out until I remove the glass and then it stops. The freezer is making ice normally. I read one of the suggestions to check the back behind the crisper for frozen lines but they are not frozen. If I tap the button a few times sometimes it will work.

Do I need to change the filter? Would that solve the problem

Watermann, Yes, you probably do need to replace the water system filter

Part number: AP4343647
Part number: AP4343647

It needs to be replaced at least once a year, per the manufacturer. But that won't likely solve the issue. Your post would indicate an issue with the dispenser portion of the water inlet valve

Part number: AP4080862
Part number: AP4080862

The humming and knocking noise indicates the plunger inside the valve isn't being energized and remaining open, to allow water to enter the system properly.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply