Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
drgerry  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 7:03:46 AM(UTC)
drgerry

Groups: Registered

Recently purchased a used GE DSS25KSR/KGR. It has a new Circuit Board which is one reason we bought it.

Seems to work, but I have to keep the Refrigerator side on 8 and the freezer side on 3 to maintain adequate temps (0* freezer and 35* refrig temps).

It also doesn't stay within range. The freezer will vary from +20 to -20 and the refrig from 30* to 42*.

I don't understand why the frige setting has to be so high and the freezer setting so low? Is it possible that the connection on the circuit board got swapped?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:31:12 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for DSS25KGR / KSR models | AppliancePartsPros.com

I do not have a link to a DSS but with luck they use the same thermistors in your unit and hopefully the circuit board is marked.
31-9072 Arctica Profile GE Side-by-Side Refrigerator Service Manual - ApplianceDigest.com
You may have to join the site to download the manual.

I doubt the thermistors were swapped. If the freezer control was looking at the fridge thermostat it would run continuously trying to get the unit/thermistor down to freezing.

If the freezer is set to a high temperature then the fridge will have to be set to a lower temperature as it is the freezer temperature that is doing all the cooling. In a theoretical system they should run independent but fridges rely heavily on air flow so the 2 are inter-related.

I would check the thermistors for resistance.
Make sure that the evaporator and condenser fans are running correctly.

If both the above are OK then odds are you need another control board.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
drgerry  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 4:13:40 AM(UTC)
drgerry

Thanks for the reply.

The model number is actually DSS25KSRD-SS if that helps.

I haven't noticed any thawing in the freezer, however the ice is a little glazed over and some stuck together, but not much. The ice dispenser still works fine.

The refrige side won't get lower than 38 and mostly stays around 40. I haven't tried a setting of 9 yet.

I'll look for a schematic of this frige so I can find the thermistors and fans.
drgerry  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 4:29:03 AM(UTC)
drgerry

I cut of the power for 1 minute, cut back on, put settings a 5 for both sides. 12 hrs later refrig is 45* and freezer is 5*.

I changed refrig setting to 9; 12 hrs later the temp was 40* / freezer was around 0*

Seems that the refrig setting isn't doing anything. Bad motherboard?
drgerry  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 10:47:33 AM(UTC)
drgerry

UPDATE: I noticed the frige running a long time and checked the temps. FF was 40* and the Freezer was pegged out at -20* (that's as far as my themometer will go!) AND IT WAS STILL RUNNING!

Finally took to panel off and looked at the coils. They looked within normal limits (see attached pic)

Took the damper unit out to see if the FF side will get cold. If it does it may be a bad damper.
drgerry attached the following image(s):
DSC_5013.jpg
denman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:43:04 AM(UTC)
denman

I would say that your damper is OK.
You set it and it looks like it is maintaining the temperature at 40 which is about where it should be.
The recommended temperature is 40 degrees F.

Your problem seems to be in the freezer, it just continues to drop no matter where you set it at. The recommended is 0 to 5 degrees F.

I would check the thermistors if they are OK, then my best guess would be that you need a new control board.
drgerry  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:56:33 AM(UTC)
drgerry

I thought the frige should be 33-38*. My therm has an area of "acceptable" temps and 40 is the upper limit.

UPDATE: I set the frige side to 9 with freezer side at 5 yesterday. This morning the fridge was 38 (good) and freezer 0 (good).

Also, on the damper assembly there are two vents on either side at the top, just behind the light cover. The left side has openings, but the right side (water filter side) was solid. Why do they want the air to flow only to one side? I removed the vent cover from the right side last night also. Don't know that it changed anything, but it just makes more sense to me to have air flowing better.

I will probably put in a new MoBo today. I also bought two new thermistors for the frige side, may replace those as well.

The battle continues . . . . .
drgerry  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:46:36 PM(UTC)
drgerry

new Mobo is in and I still have to put FF side at #9 to stay 38-40. Acceptable, but don't understand why it has to be at #9. #5 setting gets a 40-45 temp
denman  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:10:41 AM(UTC)
denman

Did you replace the thermistors?
Perhaps that is causing the temperature setting to be off.

Your coils look OK so it seems to me that your sealed system is OK and the problem is in the cotrol of the compressor.
All that is there is the thermistors and control board unless I have missed something.

Perhaps someone else will jump in with some additional info, I hope!!
drgerry  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 5:49:33 AM(UTC)
drgerry

UPDATE:

Changed both thermistors in the FF side. (previously installed a new Control Board as well)

NO CHANGE in function!

With setting of #5 and #5 Frez temp = +5 to -5 (acceptable)
FF side 40 to 42 (40 should be max)

Currently the FF is set a 7 and I still have a 39 - 40 temp

For some reason I have to set the FF side to #9 to get the temp to 34 - 38 (which is where it should be)

I'm confused, and depressed.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply