Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GDSever  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:13:07 AM(UTC)
GDSever

Groups: Registered

I have a GE refrigerator / freezer (TBH22ZRER) that came with our house (so it is probably 10+ years old), and about 2 months ago the icemaker stopped making ice. I finally got around to diagnosing the issue this weekend, and after 3 hours I still don't know what is going on. Here's what I've tried so far:

(1) Tested all of the switches within the icemaker for continuity. All appear to be functioning properly.
(2) Tested the thermostat using some guidance I found on the web (infinite resistance when warm, 0 resistance when cold)- It appears to be working properly, although I'm not 100% sure.
(3) Tested the solenoid valve that allows water to flow up to the refrigerator. It is not blocked, gives 100ohm resistance as specified on the solenoid housing itself, and when I hit the control voltage terminals with 120V (in a safe manner, of course...), it opened and allowed water to flow just fine (into a bucket).

The gears, fill bar, and ejector arm all appear to be functioning properly - and based on the component testing I did, it seems to be a problem with the circuit to the solenoid valve. Any clue how to proceed from here? Is there a good way to test the 4-conductor plug or the circuit between the plug and the 2 solenoid terminals?

Thanks in advance...
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Drags1998  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 2:04:03 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

Groups: Senior Expert

Ill try to help!!! If you pull the cover off the ICEMAKER is there a BROWN control MODULE just inside the cover? If there is, put a jumper wire between the 2 holes at the bottom of that module( I think T and M) but, its the 2 that are aprox,1/2" apart. The icemaker should start to turn, after 10 sec. remove the JUMPER. Did it go 360 degrees and fill with water. NOW, If yours dosent have the brown control module, Just replace the icemaker!!!!
GDSever  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 2:31:17 PM(UTC)
GDSever

Originally Posted by: Drags1998 Go to Quoted Post
NOW, If yours dosent have the brown control module, Just replace the icemaker!!!!

No, no brown control module. And if there is a circuit problem between the icemaker and the solenoid, then replacing the icemaker isn't going to help with that... and I'm not ready to gamble $50-100 to find out.

So it appears I'll just need to keep using my ice cube trays for the time being... thanks though!
Drags1998  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:46:49 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

True, I have never seen a broken wire in the harness between the Icemaker and the water valve though!!! OK, so No control module, Remove the cover, You should have 2 gears exposed, Take a small screwdriver and turn the small gear counterclockwise, It turns a little hard, but it will turn, after it turns a little, It will go by itself and should go through a cycle and fill with water!!!
GDSever  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:50:53 PM(UTC)
GDSever

You should have 2 gears exposed, Take a small screwdriver and turn the small gear counterclockwise, It turns a little hard, but it will turn, after it turns a little, It will go by itself and should go through a cycle and fill with water!!!

The gears are just fine - In fact, they are constantly turning. The fill bar also keeps going up and down, as it would if it were cycling properly... It goes through the whole cycle every minute or so. It just doesn't ever send the control voltage to the solenoid to open up the valve and let the water come into the tray....

I left my VOM meter hooked up to the two contacts that attach to the inlet valve and never saw the 120V signal come through - After 5-10 minutes of waiting.
Drags1998  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 4:18:26 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

The switchs inside the icemaker are not doing as they should be. 1 of the switchs is to send power to the watervalve. The other is to send power to the motor. What should happen is: The motor should stop running when the Fingers are at about 1 or 2 oclock, When the unit is working correctly, The thermostat will close, The motor will start the icemaker turning, the cubes will eject, and just before the fingers get back to 1or2 oclock the mold fills with water again. If I understand what you've said, the motor never stops. If so, Check the wiring to the switchs.
GDSever  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 4:31:18 PM(UTC)
GDSever

If I understand what you've said, the motor never stops. If so, Check the wiring to the switchs.

This is correct - the motor never stops. I did check to make sure that the switches behave properly by doing a continuity test on them (both closed and open), so if the switches aren't doing what they should, that sounds like maybe the mechanical portion that triggers them is not working properly...

Perhaps a new ice maker would solve the problem afterall, if the unit itself is malfunctioning...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply