Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
marcusdavey  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:14:30 AM(UTC)
marcusdavey

Groups: Registered

Hi all:

I have the Adora GE side by side (4 years). About a month ago, I had water dripping from dispenser. The door flap was not closing after dipesning ice. I opened up the dispenser section and found the solonoid was completely rusted. Replaced, and all OK for about 4 weeks.

All of a sudden, nothing is dispensing (water or ice). The LED lights on front display, for all functions (water, crushed cubed, light, door alarm etc) work when pressed. When on ice mode, the flapper door opens and closes as normal when pressing dispenser arm. There are no "churning" sounds from the ice maker (it's making ice OK). When in water mode, the light comes on when dispenser arm is depressed - I DO NOT hear the solonoid at rear of freezer opening up on water mode.

The front display seems to be getting power, as flapper door and light are working normally). I presume this is motherboard issue, but is there anyway to check before ordering. I know how to use a multimeter and the difference between AC and DC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marcus
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:01:16 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would look for the service sheet for this, usually behind the front kick panel. This sheet will give the solenoid connection at the motherboard. There, you can check resistance and voltage levels.If you can't find the schematic, post that problem and we will try to get info for you.
If there is no voltage there when you press the ice dispenser, you probably have a blown driver in the motherboard. Before replacing, find out if the solenoid is iced up again and look for the source like a partially frozen freezer air vent hole.
Update: I believe the solenoid driver is a relay on the motherboard. They usually do not fail.
marcusdavey  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:49:36 AM(UTC)
marcusdavey

Groups: Registered

Major Thanks to richappy:

I found the electrical diagram stuck to botton of fridge which helped me isolate the problem which was the result of a series of events.

(1) Rusted ice maker flapper solonoid - wouldn't close door after dispensing ice (had this problem for a few months over summer).

(2) Cold freezer air, escaping through open flapper, caused condensation in the dispenser area - no doubt increasing rate of rust on solonoid.

(3) Water would trickle, ever so slowly, down the front of the freezer door from the plastic trim of the dispenser unit.

(4) These "naughty" drips managed to find their way to the black door wire (LHS lower hinge) and then travel down to the small 4-pin black connector. The metal connectors + wires were completely corroded (nice green stuff on copper wires. While detaching the connector, two of three wires pulled out with little effort.

Replaced connector, and all is back to normal. I used a multimeter to check continuity of wires from connector to control board, and 12V at the connector. My wiring diagram was slightly incorrect. At the connector, the 12V line changes from a RED to a WHITE wire.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:44:50 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Good you got it fixed. GE in the past just ignored including the service data sheet and I'm sure us service and warranty persons had some effect on GE. Was rather troublesome when they ignored this on their most complicated product.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply